Father son camping trip

Possumb84

I’m planning a trip for me and my 6 year old boy to go camping and fishing next weekend (June 6th). Need some options on where to go. I would like to stay within a couple hours of Greensboro, camp site amenities are not a big deal, we’ll be tent camping, would like to be close to fishing access, some hiking trails nearby would be a plus, and maybe some forest roads to explore nearby would be cool too. Would prefer to go trout fishing, I know the 6th of June is kids only fishing on Delayed harvest waters, so that could be an option but would prefer it to be hatchery supported waters. Also would be down for any species of fish as long as it’s accessible by wading or by bank fishing. I’ve considered hanging rock state park, very familiar with it but never had much luck fishing the Dan river other than in a kayak. Also considered Helton creek campground in Ashe county but Helton creek is DH. So does anyone have any other options.

Uwharrie, should have several options! Lake, River, camping, boat ramp, hiking!

Thought about that, but I’ve never camped there only wheeled. I was worried there’d be a lot of drunk teenagers camping there based on other threads. If that’s the case is there a certain place where the majority of that goes on, and is there camping spots to avoid lots of people? How’s the fishing there?

Also I’ll be in a 02 dodge 2500, is there any trails that are full size truck friendly? I’ve only been on Daniel, Dickey bell, and maybe a few others. Been a few years though

Thought about that, but I’ve never camped there only wheeled. I was worried there’d be a lot of drunk teenagers camping there based on other threads. If that’s the case is there a certain place where the majority of that goes on, and is there camping spots to avoid lots of people? How’s the fishing there?
Been a Long time since I camped, which was with my Club. Kings Point,, is the Lake with fishing, & some amenities, wide gravel or paved road, but i'm not familiar with fishing. There are some camp sites, right along some of the gravel state roads, as is the boat ramp. Probably best to stay off the trails with a dually. If the Trails are even open!
Hope someone else can help you out with the details on camping & fishing!

Been a Long time since I camped, which was with my Club. Kings Point,, is the Lake with fishing, & some amenities, wide gravel or paved road, but i'm not familiar with fishing. There are some camp sites, right along some of the gravel state roads, as is the boat ramp. Probably best to stay off the trails with a dually. If the Trails are even open!
Hope someone else can help you out with the details on camping & fishing!
Thanks for all the input. Yeah not trying to do any serious wheeling. Truck is not a dually though. Thought about linville gorge area. Hiked to linville falls a few times, he’d like those trails, and there should be places to fish, also isn’t there a road old hwy 105? or something like that to do a little off road driving.

With the mostly good weather forecast I’d probably stay away from camping along old 105. I think the crowd that will probably be out raising hell wouldn’t be much fun and I wouldn’t want a 6 year old to be in that situation. That’s just my.02

With the mostly good weather forecast I’d probably stay away from camping along old 105. I think the crowd that will probably be out raising hell wouldn’t be much fun and I wouldn’t want a 6 year old to be in that situation. That’s just my.02
Thanks for the info, didn’t know it was like that.

Kerr Scott has great camping. Plenty of fishing and hiking too. No wheeling though.

Its my go to, since its 30 minutes from my house.

Kerr Scott has great camping. Plenty of fishing and hiking too. No wheeling though.

Its my go to, since its 30 minutes from my house.
Thanks, I’ll look into that. The wheeling part isn’t a big deal, just thought if there was some nearby where we were going it add to the fun.

Thanks, I’ll look into that. The wheeling part isn’t a big deal, just thought if there was some nearby where we were going it add to the fun.
There are several campgrounds around the lake and a lot places to fish from the shore as well as some designated swimming holes. Its also a good place to kayak.

Screenshot_2020-05-29-00-18-19.png
Hatchery supported I believe. Fishing close proximity of road or not. You choose. Good to great camping.....you can shower and have plenty of water. Good hiking. I suggest the lower falls trails. Not as iconic but much more enjoyable and some cool pools to play in.

View attachment 318788
Hatchery supported I believe. Fishing close proximity of road or not. You choose. Good to great camping.....you can shower and have plenty of water. Good hiking. I suggest the lower falls trails. Not as iconic but much more enjoyable and some cool pools to play in.
I forgot about Stone Mountain. Fished there once a few years back. I’ll have to look more into the fishing regs and camping. Thanks

Thanks for the input everyone. I started looking around today and found that camp sights everywhere I looked are pretty much booked for the next few weekends. Hanging rock had a few spots open for Sunday night so I grabbed one of those. Close to home, and plenty of hiking trails. I’ll definitely be checking out the places everyone mentioned the next time we go.

Back