Falls Dam Closed yesterday - contractors workin

Went down to Falls Damn to go on to Dickie Bell and it was closed at the mud pits.

I know there were some contractors working on the upper crossing of Rocky Mt Loop recently and there is still some equipment caged in over there. But didn't know they were gonna be working down Falls Damn.

So FYI - don't drive down there today and waste your trip.
They might still be there. Wouldn't be so bad if there was another trail to get on nearby but we had to backtrack to get back over to wolf den and decide dutch john or slab pile.....

just an FYI

Anyone that goes down there, post up if you saw it opened.
If I go back there today or this week, I'll let yall know.

This was posted 2 months ago:

The work on Rocky Mountain Loop Trail will be done in sections so sections of the trail will be closed during the maintenance work. The contractors intend begin at the southern crossing below Dutch John Trailhead and go counterclockwise onto the east side. These sections of trail will be closed during weekends at some times during the rest of the season. They are going to have it so that is a certain section is closed off that people would go onto Sawmill Trail, Slab Pile Trail or Dickey Bell Trail. The Falls Dam Trail maintenance will be done from the Falls Dam and Art Lilley TH down to the Flatwoods TH. This trail will be closed during the time when they are doing the maintenance work including some weekends. They are hoping and aiming to be completed on Rocky Mountain Loop Trail & Falls Dam Trail by Labor Day Weekend, but it might take longer.

Additionally, we will be getting 2 trail bridges installed this year. One will be installed at the stream crossing on the Dickey Bell Connector Trail down next to Green Gap Road near the Flatwoods Trailhead. This section of trail will be closed during this work and during this time OHV use will be allowed on the Green Gap Road including ATVs, UTVs, and dirtbikes.

The 2nd bridge will be installed at the northern Rocky Mountain Loop Trail crossing. While this bridge is being installed and a new culvert is installed under the road, etc. the existing crossing will be left in for OHV use but there will be times when that section of trail would be closed or there would be flaggers there directing traffic.

The trail will be closed during the week, and it will be re-opened on some of the weekends. The new projected finish time is some where in October. It sucks that the trail will be closed, but its free trail maintenance from the govt. So I am not complaining.

This was posted 2 months ago:
The trail will be closed during the week, and it will be re-opened on some of the weekends. The new projected finish time is some where in October. It sucks that the trail will be closed, but its free trail maintenance from the govt. So I am not complaining.

Where was it posted? I don't remember seeing this, got a linky?
Was it in a sticky? Was it in chit-chat or just the friends of Uwharrie section. Maybe in one of your many action threads or poll threads?

ok I must have missed something, what exactly are they doing? grading it? water run off? cutting a new trail?

Again sorry if this was already stated somewhere... I'm lazy

They are doing repair work to bring the trail back up to the specs that the headquarters at Asheville have laid out. Main thing being drainage/run off issues, erosion/mud holes (not the Soup Bowl so don't worry), and other trail damage from usage etc. Its economic stimulus dollars working for you right now. No money is coming out of the Forest Service for this.

Where was it posted? I don't remember seeing this, got a linky?
Was it in a sticky? Was it in chit-chat or just the friends of Uwharrie section. Maybe in one of your many action threads or poll threads?

http://www.nc4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90232

It was posted in chit chat in a couple discussion threads, but the thread dedicated to just information/updates about the trails is here in the Friends of Uwharrie section. I set up that thread so people could stay informed on what was going on in the Forest Service. Hopefully threads like these will let people know that the linked above thread does exist. It would be nice if it was a sticky, but the PM I sent about that never got a reply months back.

the link you posted is a "Trail report thread-Updated!". There is 5 post by you between 6-4-2010 & 7-13-2010, the 5th post being what you in posted this thread the last was a bump.

Today is
9-19-2010, there has nothing been done in the last 2 months? Why don't you update your thread?

Your the Uwharrie coordinator as I understand it part of that position it to relay info between the F.S. & NC4x4. Yet in the last 2 months the "Trail report thread thread" has been dead.

Besides the trail work that was listed in the last post there hasn't been anything from the Forest Service. There wasn't even a "Trail Work Day" monthly e-mail from Terry Savery this month. Janet had me send out an e-mail at the last minute because Deborah Walker, Terry Savery, and the rest of FS (at Uwharrie that is) have been out of town for training and other issues just about non-stop the last 2 months.

Besides the fact the Summer is the "slow months" where all they do is burning. Usually they don't even have work days during the summer. Compile on the Shooting range incident and visits from the Asheville HQ there hasn't been any news to report. The contractors doing the work on the trails haven't been keeping the Forest Service in the loop about what is going on. So the FS doesn't even know when the trails will be open/closed. To quote one person:

"They haven't been keeping us in the loop about anything, and a week or so ago they finally came to us with a problem. I told them they are on their own, they haven't needed us till now so they are on their own."

We don't even know if they are done with Rocky Mnt Loop yet. They only way is if I went out to Uwharrie every day and checked the trails to see if they had completed Rocky Mnt Loop yet, and how far along they are on Falls Dam. So if I am not hearing anything from Deborah, Terry, Rodney, or Janet then I have nothing to relay up here. And considering I talk to at least one person from the FS a week I would have something to post if there was anything to.

Sometimes no news is news in it self. I think a weekly update even if there is nothing to update. Like "I spoke with (place name here) of the forest service this week, nothing really new going on to report. Still working on RML date of completion is still to be determined." The trail report update thread is just as the title states. Update it weekly will ya? Then it wont need to be a sticky.

On a side note... DRaid, thanks for doing all this footwork for us lazy butts! Remember don't burn yourself out too fast! You're a great asset to this cause so remember to delegate whenever possible.

On a side note... DRaid, thanks for doing all this footwork for us lazy butts! Remember don't burn yourself out too fast! You're a great asset to this cause so remember to delegate whenever possible.

Thanks for the kind words, they go a long way and are appreciated. Especially with some other ones not so nice ones that have been flying around lately. :beer:

Honestly I could go out there every weekend.
Used to live across the street - then we moved 15 mins down the road. Still close though to ride during the week after work.
I'll update yall what I see when I ride.

Btw - the log bridge on wolf den is starting to separate. Can't rmbr who's trail that is or if it has been adopted.

Back