F250 in SC for tranny repair- advice needed

Cperry

1992 F250 diesel- auto
Tranny under warranty by shop in SC, 6month/6k

Coming back from DPG starts dumping fluid from somewhere breather, dipstick soemwhere. Make it home but it won't barely move if i reved it to about 5k it would inch along. Fluid is full but burnt.
Finaly figure out how to get it to SC.

Yesterday shop says they pulled the tranny and went threw it and everything they did was fine.
The problem was cooler was stopped up and computer is bad, we will try and find a used one. I am trying to ask what it is going to cost guy doesn't want to talk to me.

Shop calls today says it is all fixed, $550

My issue- would'nt the cooler have had a flow problem 3,500 miles ago when they rebuilt it, i.e. they would have been checking pressures and they would have forseen this.

Second issue, shouldn't the guy have called me before making the repairs. I rather spend the $550 on a manual swap or another truck.

And lastly what would you do if you were in this situation?

I believe by law any repair shop must first consult the customer before going forth and making any repairs.

StudNuts said:
I believe by law any repair shop must first consult the customer before going forth and making any repairs.

that is absolutely true, though my experience working at a shop. you can refuse to pay it, but they can also refuse to give you your truck back

tranny cooler was stopped up, but the trans is fine? That's hard to swallow.

ya a mechanics lean is hard to fight....

Unless you wrote says somthign like CALL before doing work or some other verbage your probbaly stuck paying that just to get your truck back... AND if you start playing games they are usually 'entitled' to sock you with a 'storage fee' or worse an 'indoor storage fee' and that adds up daily and it probbaly says that in the micro print on the invoice you havnt seen yet...

On the upside 550 doesnt sound to bad to have much of anything done on an auto.

Rich said:
tranny cooler was stopped up, but the trans is fine? That's hard to swallow.

yes i am trying to swallow it, it is not going down, much like swallowing a huge, well anyway.

The truck has an ATS aftermarket turbo kit on it. The guy said he had to match the computer up to it. And he had to go to Spartanburg to get it. D these ATS kits come with different computers. I don't think they do. Also he managed to find one, go get it in Spartanburg, and fix it in less than 7 hours. He is either lying or man is he good.

Sounds like your getting the o-ring lubed as the story unfolds. The ATS turbos dont need a special computer. However, they are more effeciant and provide alot more power with a recalibrated ecu or a aftermarket chip/tuner.

chase that sucks man, i guess that you have to really think about wether its worth that kind of money to fix a truck that has a motor on the way out. i think you are kind of stuck on the money part, i guess you could go to court and say that you only told them to do warranty repairs?? im calling BS on the computer, a larger turbo should just perform better without he help from a new computer

probably got some trash/debris in the cooler when it originally died. they should have replaced the cooler at the same time or at least given it a good flush.

RufusTheRam said:
probably got some trash/debris in the cooler when it originally died. they should have replaced the cooler at the same time or at least given it a good flush.

Thats what i said, well not exactly i just said well didn't you flush it and check the flow when you rebuilt it, i mean where did the debris come from if it was just flushed and all new parts were put in. He said he did, and i did not have a come back after that.

Well i'm screwed either way it will cost $300 to get it without it being fixed and $550 if i just pay. So i will just pay and and take it up the doookie shoot.

At least i can tow my ish to DPG next weekend, and if it breaks again i am lighting it on fire, and walking away.

Well if you feel like you got screwed write check/ cancel check. Then he has to take you to court to get his money on repairs that he did w/o approval so you will have to defend on those grounds and they did the faulty rebuild in the first place.

Back