F-toy East

I think Formula Toys have to use the Hendricks chassis add on right? If so, the one you guys are building won't qualify...... I though it needed to be a serialized Hendricks chassis......

Andy

zubz said:
I think Formula Toys have to use the Hendricks chassis add on right? If so, the one you guys are building won't qualify...... I though it needed to be a serialized Hendricks chassis......
Andy
Well, Hendrix is just one vendor, but you are right it has to be built by an approved vendor. :)
This is from the F-toy rules;
Cage / Chassis / Body
Safety cage built by an approved vendor
Frame must be Toyota Pickup or 4Runner frame, 2wd or 4wd

It is going to be a cool deal. I hope it gets more peple involved. I would love to see this grow.

zubz said:
Andy

Thanks for the interest guys, and hope to see you at some of the comps next year. W.E.Rock has added the Ftoys officially as a spec class to the Eastern Pro Nationals so you'll get to see us on display all over the East.

It is true, you must use an approved vendor for your chassis, however, if you have the ability to CNC bend and notch, you can apply for vendor status with the Board of Directors and get your shop approved. We are working on getting more approved vendors making regional pickups a reality instead of having to ship your chassis from L.A. which is what I had to do.

Ftoys make awesome trail rigs also and if anyone is thinking of getting a chassis in the future, Whaley Enterprises is currrently working on a group order and have 2 chassis purchased already.

Thanks for the interest guys,

Mark
ftoy#36

Whaley's quote on Pirate:
"We did 6 chassis for ppl here on east coast. As many of you know shipping for an assembled chassis is quite a bit from hendrix to points east. We have had a few calls asking if we would do them agian. We would be happy to do another run of these if we can get enough orders. The shipping is pretty much the same if we get one or more chassis. They are shipped to use in peices and we weld them together. It does take some time for this to happen so dont expect to have you chassis next week. Mike has to fill the order and it takes a week or so for the chassis to get to us. Then we need time assemble them. It would be nice to get at least 6 as this keep the shipping cost down. I may already have 2 spoken for.
approx pricing depending on shipping, if we get 6 ppl I will then verify pricing
$1100hrew
$1400dom
price plus pa sales tax"

a link to the thread:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=450809

Yeah, it only took 2 years for it to finally come to be.

Sorry, but until I can build my own chassis to thier specs/blueprints and not pay 400 bucks to ship one I'll keep pounding the sheetmetal off mine. :flipoff2:

Ratman said:
Yeah, it only took 2 years for it to finally come to be.
Sorry, but until I can build my own chassis to thier specs/blueprints and not pay 400 bucks to ship one I'll keep pounding the sheetmetal off mine. :flipoff2:

You can..you just have to have a CNC bender and notcher. It's a spec class. But there are alot of guys that feel the way you do and it's totally understandable. It's just never going to change..BUT..I can see (down the road) the tubes being sold prebent and notched and self assembly an option. There just has to be a way to evaluate each chassis for Tech and that hasn't been resolved yet.

Formulatoyeast.com said:
You can..you just have to have a CNC bender and notcher. It's a spec class. But there are alot of guys that feel the way you do and it's totally understandable. It's just never going to change..BUT..I can see (down the road) the tubes being sold prebent and notched and self assembly an option. There just has to be a way to evaluate each chassis for Tech and that hasn't been resolved yet.

Well, IHRA does a tech inspection of tube cars by way of having "certified" inspectors. While have some small deviations in a chassis should make no "advantagous" difference a pre bent, you assemble box O bends would be cool for us right coasters. Have someone on the east coast bend 'em up. BTW, please dont miss the sacastic :flipoff2 in my previous post. :D Having your chassis "certified" and stamped would be a posible solution. Of course this would not address modifactions after the certification process. Do ya'll have a system in place to address that now on the Hendrix chassis?

I've not really examined the Hendrix that closely, is that a DOM, moly or cold rolled chassis? I would imagine DOM or cold rolled being you weld the thing to a exsisting frame. Moly would require tigging and some other tricky things to attach properly to a mild steel frame.

Ratman said:
Well, IHRA does a tech inspection of tube cars by way of having "certified" inspectors. While have some small deviations in a chassis should make no "advantagous" difference a pre bent, you assemble box O bends would be cool for us right coasters. Have someone on the east coast bend 'em up. BTW, please dont miss the sacastic :flipoff2 in my previous post. :D Having your chassis "certified" and stamped would be a posible solution. Of course this would not address modifactions after the certification process. Do ya'll have a system in place to address that now on the Hendrix chassis?
I've not really examined the Hendrix that closely, is that a DOM, moly or cold rolled chassis? I would imagine DOM or cold rolled being you weld the thing to a exsisting frame. Moly would require tigging and some other tricky things to attach properly to a mild steel frame.

No worries, I got it..:huggy: I think this could be a happy medium because welding is not the issue in deciding the chassis has to be from an approved vendor. It's no deviation to the chassis as they do not want this evolving into a one seater class. Maybe unwelded tube packages will be available down the road.

With the current rules, you can add to the Hendrix Chassis ( engine cage, rear spreaders, gussets, tabs, rear seat X members, Seat restraints, etc.) but not take away from the original chassis.

Mike's chassis are all 1.75 .120 wall tube with the option of having all peremiter tube either HREW OR DOM..your choice--but for a price difference of course. Some of the early chassis were HREW and you can tell when you see them up close.

Although a massive amount of fabrication and welding has to be done by the driver/builder...nothing is tricky as it's all mild steel, some aluminum maybe. Nothing that would require TIG unless you wanted too.

Formulatoyeast.com said:
No worries, I got it..:huggy: I think this could be a happy medium because welding is not the issue in deciding the chassis has to be from an approved vendor. It's no deviation to the chassis as they do not want this evolving into a one seater class. Maybe unwelded tube packages will be available down the road.
With the current rules, you can add to the Hendrix Chassis ( engine cage, rear spreaders, gussets, tabs, rear seat X members, Seat restraints, etc.) but not take away from the original chassis.
Mike's chassis are all 1.75 .120 wall tube with the option of having all peremiter tube either HREW OR DOM..your choice--but for a price difference of course. Some of the early chassis were HREW and you can tell when you see them up close.
Although a massive amount of fabrication and welding has to be done by the driver/builder...nothing is tricky as it's all mild steel, some aluminum maybe. Nothing that would require TIG unless you wanted too.

Nothing wrong with hrew done right. Would I want to spank turn 2 at Talladeda with a hrew cage, hell no, do a back flip off Peckerwood? Sure. LOL

Hang onto my user ID, if the box O bends chassis kit comes into play, let me know and maybe I'll finish removing the body from the 84. :driver:

I started to look into the old Legends class and saw what was happening there and went back to beating on shit for fun.

The build can't be any worse than the drags and roundy round cars I've done. Those rails suck ass to get right, proper flex and rear loading on a hardtail is critical then you got some old guy whose only job is to keep you off the track certifiing your junk. Keeps folks from becoming road pizza though. :smokin:

Well guys, formula east just drove up your used yota parts price. But oh well hell, I may have to apply to be an approved vendor and build me a formula toy - that would be fun.

If there is a big demand for it, ill apply.

As an approved vendor, do you get the cad layout for the chassis? Or do I have to reinvent the wheel?

Ratman said:
Nothing wrong with hrew done right. Would I want to spank turn 2 at Talladeda with a hrew cage, hell no, do a back flip off Peckerwood? Sure. LOL
Hang onto my user ID, if the box O bends chassis kit comes into play, let me know and maybe I'll finish removing the body from the 84. :driver:
I started to look into the old Legends class and saw what was happening there and went back to beating on shit for fun.
The build can't be any worse than the drags and roundy round cars I've done. Those rails suck ass to get right, proper flex and rear loading on a hardtail is critical then you got some old guy whose only job is to keep you off the track certifiing your junk. Keeps folks from becoming road pizza though. :smokin:

Problem with HREW is you add a few backflips over the course of a couple years and it takes its toll. For a trail rig..no problem. Comp rig though is another story and think the extra $$ spent on D.O.M. is money well spent for the long run.

You can sign up as a user for the website and get notifications when there's some news to share. The box O bends won't be this year though.

Ftoys aren't that hard to build over all, but it's much, much more than just slappin' a tube chassis on a frame rail.

Studnuts,

Not sure if you get the prints or not, that would have to worked out with Hendrix but if you were to get approved I can't see why everyone involved wouldn't want to help you get started and producing.

Formulatoyeast.com said:
Problem with HREW is you add a few backflips over the course of a couple years and it takes its toll. For a trail rig..no problem. Comp rig though is another story and think the extra $$ spent on D.O.M. is money well spent for the long run.
You can sign up as a user for the website and get notifications when there's some news to share. The box O bends won't be this year though.
Ftoys aren't that hard to build over all, but it's much, much more than just slappin' a tube chassis on a frame rail.
Studnuts,
Not sure if you get the prints or not, that would have to worked out with Hendrix but if you were to get approved I can't see why everyone involved wouldn't want to help you get started and producing.

A little reading, call Geiger and pick whats left of his brain, get up with SeaBass and once armed with good info (might even have to call Camo <shudder> ) build away,

Yeah, hrew aint top shelf for a cage thats for sure but, like anything else, it has a usable shelf life.

If Nuts got on board it would put me closer to making the leap thats for sure. After spending years playing around in drag racing and roundy round stuff I'm not sure I even want to do comps any more. I'm finding it a lot more fun to just go out and thrash stuff.

I would help someone get one together if needed or asked though. I might sign up on the site. If nothing else getting the carb info beyond running them backwards would be useful. :D That and getting the overhead bar over the motor, damn doing what Chris did to his 22r. :lol: That shiznit left one hell of a mark.

Formulatoyeast.com said:
Camo's head isn't in this anymore...and there are better people to call than Geiger..that's for damn sure. :lol:

Like hiring the handicapped, he's fun to watch. :flipoff2:

Just few names off the top of my head, I'm sure there are others I'm not familar with.

Just a ?... the 65" wide at the outside edges of tires, any ideas what that is assuming for rim/tire?

I keep thinking of building some small enough to fit between rails on pickup bed (which are 65")...

I love the formulatoy concept mostly because it looks like a heck of a wheelable rig, that I could compete with too...whereas now to build a comp rig you are gonna spend mega $$.

$899-1100ish ain't bad for a buggy chassis, seen em cheaper...figure you can buy the 'yota itself for $1500 or so... Then add cost of lockers (spool), prob a tcase and tires/rims and winch and you are "done"? $3500ish at low point and prob could go up quickly from there!

Ratman said:
Like hiring the handicapped, he's fun to watch. :flipoff2:
Just few names off the top of my head, I'm sure there are others I'm not familar with.

Read this last night and had beer coming out of my nose:beer: Funnay!

If you want to get some more input, get ahold of John James (desertoy) Hobie (a2b) and ask away.

With the growth of Rock Crawling, Rock Racing etc...the spec class stuff is getting popular for many reasons..mainly..guys won't get beat by someonelses wallet and it's a true driver's class.

SHINTON said:
Just a ?... the 65" wide at the outside edges of tires, any ideas what that is assuming for rim/tire?
I keep thinking of building some small enough to fit between rails on pickup bed (which are 65")...
I love the formulatoy concept mostly because it looks like a heck of a wheelable rig, that I could compete with too...whereas now to build a comp rig you are gonna spend mega $$.
$899-1100ish ain't bad for a buggy chassis, seen em cheaper...figure you can buy the 'yota itself for $1500 or so... Then add cost of lockers (spool), prob a tcase and tires/rims and winch and you are "done"? $3500ish at low point and prob could go up quickly from there!

You are referring to the cad drawings? There is no axle width limitations in ftoy or tire size either. Mike designed the ftoy to fit common toyota sizes and lots of guys run IFS rears, wheel spacers and 37s.

You can run diamonds, custom tubing etc.. but you must have stock drum outers and your diff has to accept the 8" third.

#10 has 3k in his
#06 has 7500
#29 has 12k

Alot depends on how many parts you have already and what your using as a donor vehicle.

Formulatoyeast.com said:
Read this last night and had beer coming out of my nose:beer: Funnay!
If you want to get some more input, get ahold of John James (desertoy) Hobie (a2b) and ask away.
With the growth of Rock Crawling, Rock Racing etc...the spec class stuff is getting popular for many reasons..mainly..guys won't get beat by someonelses wallet and it's a true driver's class.

I'm leaning that way. I'll keep the names handy for future reference. My problem is simple, I wheel like Geiger, in other words like a retard. LOL No winning in my future but I'm good at scaring people. :flipoff2:

I like the spec classes, quick breakdown. Gearing? dual cases? lockers? leaves or coils? Whats legal in a fast run down?

Ratman said:
I'm leaning that way. I'll keep the names handy for future reference. My problem is simple, I wheel like Geiger, in other words like a retard. LOL No winning in my future but I'm good at scaring people. :flipoff2:
I like the spec classes, quick breakdown. Gearing? dual cases? lockers? leaves or coils? Whats legal in a fast run down?

--Any gear ratio, yota cases or marlin crawlbox allowed.
--any toyota trans
--22re, 22r~propane allowed
--engine may be moved back 8" and down 1"
--inboarding rear to 29 OC allowed
--NO TACOMA stuff
--No cutting brakes
--No rear driveline discos...you must plan your backups
--any leaf spring allowed--no link suspension, no eliptical springs
--any tire size
--encapsulate or full firewall..either
--no trans tunnel required (this is going to change)

Thats the skinny

Formulatoyeast.com said:
--no trans tunnel required (this is going to change)

Few changed from the last time I looked at the rules. Cool.

Definatly need a tunnel, anyone got hurt lately?

Ratman said:
Few changed from the last time I looked at the rules. Cool.
Definatly need a tunnel, anyone got hurt lately?

No one's gotten hurt and I've witnessed some serious rollovers with them. The tunnel is required by W.E.Rock to protect the driver from flash fire or total failure of the driveline resulting in fluid in the cab. With these things (because carbs are allowed) it's a wise addition to your build and makes common sense to make it a safety rule.

Formulatoyeast.com said:
No one's gotten hurt and I've witnessed some serious rollovers with them. The tunnel is required by W.E.Rock to protect the driver from flash fire or total failure of the driveline resulting in fluid in the cab. With these things (because carbs are allowed) it's a wise addition to your build and makes common sense to make it a safety rule.

Cool, I can just picture flopping and dumping gas and gear oil into the cab. That would suck.

Back