Engine Opinions

bronc'nBK

Today, i finally got the heads pulled off of my motor, and found coolant on the first 2 cyl's, 2 bent pushrods, and a cracked piston.

Option #1- Fix the motor and build it a little bit, ie. small overbore, new pushrods, etc.
Option #2- Build the motor ie. bore it, stroke it, port the heads, etc.
Option #3- Big block
Option #4- 302 or 351W, built as much as my budget could handle.

Any opinions, warnings, advice for me?

Build a little so it doesn't overheat at all. Porting is for high RPM, right? Spend a lot of time researching the perfect cam/manifold combo for midrange.

this truck is more of a mud truck, so id rather have more mid to top end power then low end torque. i have enough low end due to the fact that it is a 400 cubic inch motor.

after further examination, 351C pistons will work if i have them sleeved for a new pin. with this info, im thinking a set of Keith Black Silv-o-lite or Speed Pro .030 overbore pistons, giving me about 10.2:1 cr, 4 barrel, pretty extreme cam, stronger pushrods and connecting rods, and maybe have me heads machined to use valves from 4V heads. with this setup, i should be lookin at 325 hp and 425+ lb ft on 93 octane. hows this setup sound to all yall ford guys out there? total cost is about $1000 on paper, but yall know how that goes...

Back