Enclosed trailer tire and axle thoughts...

I’m sure it will get replaced at some point in the future which is why I’m lookin at a 32’ trailer now and why I’m selling my 24’ Kaufman

So the math could go “4500# for your buggy, ?4500#? for your kid’s/buddy’s buggy, and 4500# for trailer”. 13,500# total... right at capacity for 2 7K axles.

Right. So the only option is at least (2) 7000 axles or (3) 5200 axles.

I could do (3) 7000 axles but then it starts eating into the budget for lights, cabinets, RV, etc.

I just need a good shell with a frame and axle that will handle the weight. I can add bells and whistles (cabinets, lights, generator, awning, jacuzzi hot tub, etc) later once I figure out how I really want it.

Knowing the facts, I’d vote triple 5200 axles. Extra 1600# capacity fits your bill.

Who told you that a 32ft enclosed tag trailer only weighs 4500#? My 32ft flatbed weighs more than that. I'd bet that trailer is 6k dry.

Edit: yup, 32ft Haulmark with triple 5200# axles only has a 9k cargo capacity.

A pair of dually axles is the way I'd go. I wouldnt even consider a triple axle because of how badly they scrub. A single axle dually would be ideal if they offer such an animal for your application.

Sales rep told me. I’m still waiting for paperwork to verify everything, actual weight included.

He's full of shit.

If I were you, I'd go pick out a used one on racing junk and save a bunch of money. My gut says you'll tow it once, and after you find out what towing an enclosed tag trailer that size feels like, it'll stay parked.

If you seriously want to consider 2 full size buggies and all the "goodies" you mentioned at any time in the future I would look into dually axles or triple 7ks. 3-5.2ks is going to put you too close to capacity with just the rigs, nevermind a generator, batteries, lights, cabinets, tools and whatever else. I can't see a 32' enclosed netting 4500lbs, my 20' 7k car hauler nets 2600lbs with just my tool boxes, winch, a battery, chains and binders. Yeah some will come off the axles on the tongue, but I would rather not attempt a long trip with the entire family and my trailer close to max cap.

Think about all the stuff you are rattling off about buying, whats another $1100 into the trailer for another axle, that way you will have more cap than you will need. You aren't going to want to have to add that 3rd axle down the road.

I do want a GN but it won’t go behind the RV. I guess it would fit on a toter with a GN deck but I’m also using the RV for camping and as a temporary residence while working out of town. The toter with GN deck isn’t as beneficial for 75% of the use of the RV

Not sure about an enclosed trailer, but I pull a bumper pull, triple axle, 34’ with no issues.

I’m sure they are an option but at some point I have to weigh the actual benefit versus perceived benefit and what my wallet will handle.

Not sure about where you're getting it from, but it only cost me another 1100 over the standard 7k axles to go 8k/17.5. Tires are pretty cheap too.

Not sure about where you're getting it from, but it only cost me another 1100 over the standard 7k axles to go 8k/17.5. Tires are pretty cheap too.

Have you found the tires to be readily available in stock around the areas you travel?

Have you found the tires to be readily available in stock around the areas you travel?

This is why I stuck with 16” wheels. I’ve had to search for a replacement tire on a Sunday evening after all the big name places are closed.

I carry a spare, but yes, there aren't many commercial tire stores that won't have one. Whether it's a 215/75-17.5 or a 235/75-17.5. They're a lot more common than they used to be. At 130 bucks a piece you could carry several spares and some tire bars. It takes longer to air them up than to change the tire on the rim.

I'm not saying you won't blow a tire, but I can tell you that I don't worry about the trailer tires near as much any more since they're not near their max capacity. I've got 16k combined with the axles, but over 19k combined with the tires. 215s are rated at 4805 lbs per tire and 235s are rated at 6005 lbs per tire. I like the "cushion" they provide.

My point is...they're just beefy. With about 11k on the trailer (which weighs 4k) the sidewalls barely roll in a tight turn. Even with load G 16" tires, I don't think I could get away with that without a tandem dual or triples.

Last edited:
A 32 ft enclosed is going to suck real bad behind rv just because of ware the pivot point is on the hitch might not be to bad on a toter home but with the rv and bumper pull getting in anywhere for gas and food will suck let alone trying to pull that down the sketchy ass roads all good Offroad parks are on lol and for reference my 20ft double axle enclosed trailer is 3500 pounds empty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something I keep thinking about but forgetting to mention in this thread (thanks @karatejosh )

If you're having one built, plan on having it lifted 4-6" from what they normally build for race cars/drag cars, etc. The regular car trailers sit super low to the ground, and will bottom out on all the "sketchy ass roads all the good Offroad parks are on".

Something I keep thinking about but forgetting to mention in this thread (thanks @karatejosh )

If you're having one built, plan on having it lifted 4-6" from what they normally build for race cars/drag cars, etc. The regular car trailers sit super low to the ground, and will bottom out on all the "sketchy ass roads all the good Offroad parks are on".

My 20ft drags every once in a wile but dear lord it catches wind so bad now I would be scared to lift it lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Already part of the build list. :)

Just another input on traveling with my 36ft bumper pull toyhauler it catches wind so bad the wife wants to get rid of it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I think to just need one if these
ab72de5982a394941b020e30a05cb29a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Agreed. So nice when you make a u-turn or tight turn to look back and see the tires just sliding, instead of the sidewalls flexing so bad you think it will pop off the rim.

I would vote dual 8k axles with 17.5's as well.

Am I supposed to follow the rules of each state I pass through or just NC?

I would think other states would have to honor a legally operated NC vehicle similar to how they must honor other state’s drivers licenses as well as other states’ vehicle safety and emissions?

Supposed to follow the laws of states you drive through.

I dont disagree. But then why don’t I have to follow the rules of states I drive through that have different emission and safety rules than NC?

I believe yes, but since you're not going to get a vehicle inspection, it's not likely you'll get a ticket for that type of violation. Tires for example, that stick out from the fender, is allowed in NC (or at least not enforced) but you try that in PA or CA, you'll get a ticket for sure.

Overlength, overweight, illegal tandem combinations yes, you could get a ticket. How likely is it that you'll get pulled over? Who knows, but it is for sure possible.

Back