Enclosed trailer tire and axle thoughts...

rockcity

everyday is a chance to get better
ok. Working on ordering an enclosed trailer.

Tandem 7000 axles with 16” tires

Or

Triple 5200 axles with 15” tires?

Both are the same cost. Both have brakes on all axles. I have 3 spares for each already.

While I like the tandem 7000 setup, I do like the extra 1600 capacity of the triple axles...

To all the trailer gurus, what say ye?

Triple 5200s with 16" rubber. Not so much for the extra capacity (triples are harder on tires), but for the extra brakes. If the tandem 7s are disc brake, that changes the answer.

3 of the 7k(or 6k) goto 16" tires, plus it is 8 lugs, not 6 (#5200)
It only few hundred dollars, give much more cushion on capacity.

I could just do triple 7000 axles for not much more $ than the 16” upgrade on the 5200 axles

The only difference between a 5200# axle and a 7k axle is the size of the magnet in the drum. Shoes, drums, and bearings are all the same. 5200# are more frequently 6 lug rather than 8.

For $1k, I'd put discs on it.

I’ll echo others and say that triple axle is hard on tires and the surface you’re turning on. Digs ruts in my yard and on my gravel driveway. If what you’re hauling rides on two axles, I’d go that route.

I’ll be hauling 2 buggies and gear. Not sure I want to go to triple 7000 axles. I had tandem 5200 axles with 16” tires on the car trailer but the enclosed weighs quite a bit more. So really, it’s either tandem 7000 or triple 5200. I’m leaning towards the triple 5200 to truly have added capacity if the only difference between the 5200 and 7000 axles is the brakes like Shawn says.

I’ll just save that added $1100 for the third 7000 axle and put it into the wide rear door option.

They look the same but 6k is 3/16' and 7k is 1/4",
and probably the 5200# is 3/16" w/ 6 lugs (i did not check) but the 6k and 7k they are not the same,
nevermind Shawn says no they are the same.......;)
who knows, Dexter must be wrong........

I’ll be hauling 2 buggies and gear. Not sure I want to go to triple 7000 axles. I had tandem 5200 axles with 16” tires on the car trailer but the enclosed weighs quite a bit more. So really, it’s either tandem 7000 or triple 5200. I’m leaning towards the triple 5200 to truly have added capacity if the only difference between the 5200 and 7000 axles is the brakes like Shawn says.

How much does all this shit weigh? Is this a gooseneck?

and probably the 5200# is 3/16" w/ 6 lugs (i did not check) but the 6k and 7k they are not the same,
nevermind Shawn says no they are the same.......;)

I said all the shit that matters (brakes and bearings) is the same size. The point is you're not gaining "more brake" or "more bearing" by getting a 7k or a 5200.

Are 8ks and 17.5s an option? The brakes look bigger (diameter and width) than the ones on my old trailer with 7k axles.

It’s a tag trailer, not GN. Gotta be able to tow it with the RV that I don’t own but am looking for but will likely never buy... :lol:

So, weight?

Keep in mind that any trailer long enough to carry two rigs will probably be too heavy for a bus chassis, and will be long enough to require a CDL.

Not to mention, 2 rigs plus the weight of the trailer would probably put you right at capacity for 2 7K axles. This is the reason I went triple axle. For that “extra capacity” you mentioned.

So, weight?

Keep in mind that any trailer long enough to carry two rigs will probably be too heavy for a bus chassis, and will be long enough to require a CDL.

Weight? 4500# for my buggy, #1500 for mini, trailer at #4500, plus misc gear or whatever random stuff I put in there. That’s just 10,500 pounds plus gear. Really, either axle setup should be plenty.

What’s the OAL threshold of vehicle (RV) and trailer to needing a CDL?

I’m still lookin at a Super C or toter with the freightliner chassis. Those have the 12,000 hitch and most of the toters have 30,000 or greater. That’s a little much for me but as long as I stay with the 12,000# hitch at least I should be fine for what little use it will actually see.

Last edited:
Are you sure the mini won’t be replaced with a full size buggy down the road? Girls or a buddy?

Not sure on RV, but plain truck and trailer is 60 ft.

Have you actually weighed it trail-ready?

That’s about the weight before the car b que. I’ve added 2 additional seats and some tube but didn’t stretch the chassis and lightened up the engine and wheel/tire combo from what it was. So I’m guessing it is similar in weight. It may be more once my gear gets in it.

Soooks like NC is 60’ combined.

Am I supposed to follow the rules of each state I pass through or just NC?

I would think other states would have to honor a legally operated NC vehicle similar to how they must honor other state’s drivers licenses as well as other states’ vehicle safety and emissions?

Weight? 4500# for my buggy, #1500 for mini, trailer at #4500, plus misc gear or whatever random stuff I put in there. That’s just 10,500 pounds plus gear. Really, either axle setup should be plenty.

Your overloaded for two 5200# axles with both rigs, no matter how you look at it.

I would say your only options other than getting crazy with 3 7's or 2 8's would be 3 5200's or 2 7000's.

It has been said before that the bearings and brakes are the same on the 5200 and 7000 and that is true but the thing that actually supports the wheels and keeps them in proper camber is the axle tube. If you overload the tube it will bend and then it doesn't matter what bearings and brakes you have. The 7000 axle tube is thicker and I think a little bigger diameter and that is what holds the weight up first before it gets to the bearings.

Back