Anyone else make their own eggnog? I usually use some form of this recipe:

12 eggs, separated
1 (16 oz) package powdered sugar, sifted
1 1/2 to 2 cups dark rum, divided
1 1/2 to 2 cups bourbon, divided
1 quart milk
1 1/2 quarts whipping cream
Freshly grated nutmeg

Beat egg yolks until foamy. Gradually add sugar, beating until thick and lemon colored. Stir in 1 cup of rum and 1 cup of bourbon, mixing well. Chill 1 hour.

Stir in the remaining rum and bourbon. Add milk and whipping cream, stirring well.

Beat egg whites (at room temperature) until soft peaks form. Gently fold into yolk mixture. Chill thoroughly. Sprinkle eggnog with nutmeg.

50A599F6-05DE-4628-A4CD-53CA59225132.jpeg
827A22B8-46C4-4ADC-B117-9D0A13C211A4.jpeg

My recipe is similar.
Start with 4 8oz glasses.
4 shot glasses (1.5oz each) full of bourbon
4 shot glasses (1.5oz each) full of LIGHT rum (wife's preference here)

12 eggs, separated, refrigerated
1 (16 oz) package powdered sugar, sifted
1 quart milk
1 whipping cream
Freshly grated nutmeg

Leave eggs refrigerated until the last moment they are needed.
Chill 1 hour.
Make a cup of coffee and dilute (normally I am against this) with 2 tbs of heavy whipping cream.
Second cup of coffee with sugar and whole milk added.
Pour a glass of milk and give it to the kids.

Wife gets the coffee with sugar I get the coffee with HWC (coconut oil is better or black...but tis the season)
I drink the bourbon shots.
She drinks the rum shots.
We sip coffee.
La Fin.

I use Alton browns recipe. Just made some.
20221124_124207.jpg

Hard to wait a month or a couple weeks. 1 quart is almost gone already. But it does get better with age.

Alton Brown? His methods are pretty solid, although I think the eggnog and turkey brine are the two things i base my method on. I also refer to The Pioneer Woman and Vivian Howard for some things but, in all cases, I've made them my own.

^^^this

By the time I dump the bourbon in, the subtle distinctions of home made vs. [name your brand] store bought seem insignificant. ;-)
Now I feel bad that I made @UTfball68 sad. I will attempt some homemade over the holidays and report back. ;-)

Back