Early stroke tech ~ Q's.

Ratman

Ok, I understand the basics, oil pressure fed injectors off a secondary oil pump etc.... Oh, and who is the fool that thought wiring harness's in valve covers was cool? :flipoff2: Anyway, here's what it does. 90% of the time, you start this thing it runs on 4, 5 or 6 cly's for about a minute. This is hot, cold or otherwise. Fresh filters, purged, and various cleaners added. Once it smooths out, runs fine. Not low on oil <duh> and otherwise seems ok. What the heck is cusing this, bad injectors, secondary oil pump weak what? :confused:

Most of the injectors I have seen go bad don't come and go. Are the injectors in the older power stroke Electronic controled (most of the big trucks are)? If so it could be a problem with the wiring. We have seen lots of problems with the Cummins ISX internal wiring at the shop.

Is it blowing smoke at start up?

If so does it stop when the engine smooths out?

Sam(Slim)

Honestly, I dont know how the injectors are signaled. I know oil pressure opens them. They tell me it doesnt smoke when its skipping, just skips. Once it clears, runs fine. Almost sounds like a leakdown to me and eventually it clears the air out and runs. With oil fed opening tho' I can see low oil pressure doing the same thing. :confused: Who thought this fuel system up anyway?

could be a bad wiring harness.My dad had to have his replaced on his 95 a couple years ago.It would do the same thing,miss untill it ran a few,but then it got to where it wouldn't clear up.

rocktoy35 said:
could be a bad wiring harness.My dad had to have his replaced on his 95 a couple years ago.It would do the same thing,miss untill it ran a few,but then it got to where it wouldn't clear up.

Which setion of the harness? The valve covers or the main from the ecu?

Back