Dumb Question...CHMSL Bulb Change With Camper?

EugeneTheTJ

For those of you with slide in campers, camper shells, etc., what is the best way to deal with burned out cab 3rd brake lights? Please don't say ignore it.

Is there a way to bypass the cab brake light so you don't have to deal with burned out bulbs and the resulting dash warning? I'd imagine accessing these with a camper is damn near impossible. Right now with my softopper I can fold it and change relatively easily but I'm wanting to add a hardshell tent over top that will likely block it and add a 3rd light at the back center of the rack rather than at the cab.

Any tips or tricks?

Why does it keep burning out? I've owned an 05 since 09 and only had to put one fuse in it when I bought it cause the trailer brake circuit ran thru the chmsl.

It uses a shitty halogen bulb, 921 if I remember correctly. I've had to replace it twice since 2018 so don't think anything is that weird but just a semi routine hassle. I thought about swapping for led but doesn't change my question

If you put a hardshell camper top on it done most of the newer camper shell has a 3rd light option on them take out the one on your truck and jumper it to the rear camper shell so when it blows you can change it easy.

Back