Dually: ALuminum outer & SteeL inner rims STUCK!

Caver Dave

Just holdin' it down here in BFV
Getting some vibes out of the rear, so figured a balance would be the best place to start (no weights visible on any of the 4 rims). Asked my (not so local) tire jobber to yank them & balance, but...
once the lugnuts were off, the rims (aluminum outer rim & steel inner) were stuck, apparently both to the flange and to each other.
We tried:
  • Copious amounts of WD40 - nope
  • Prybar - nope
  • 8' long 4x4 - nope
  • Dropping the outer (off the jack) down on a block - nope
They said they'd seen it several times over the years and resorted to using a "porta-power" which in most cases destroyed 1 or both rims.

I've know about hosing with WD40/PB/Kroll over extended periods and have read about vinegar, heat/melting paraffin, etc.

While I don't need to get them off today, it's only a matter of time before a flat or other maintenance dictates their removal. What methods/proven ideas would you use to get them off?

Around the farm we used to loosen up the lugnuts and yard drive it. Always worked and never ruined anything. We had a concrete pad that i have drove in circles/figure 8s on to break them loose also.

^^^ did that with a trailer once, worked great...took a while. Just loosened lugs a couple of turns.

make a puller and smack the center with a hammer. When you reassemble, apply never-seize to the mating surfaces.

Driving it works too. Would do that with steel wheels, never brave enough to chance aluminum.

Drive it by auto springs on liberty st. I'm sure they can get them off.

Back