Dual purpose tow rig

CasterTroy

Faster'N You
This will work nicely to tow with as well as hit the outer banks (Davis Island especially) to do some surf fishing.

Sitting on a set of borrowed wheels/tires to see how it would look/ride on 33's :D

awww.troybaker.com_burb_burb07.jpg

Nice looking Sub! I like the pre-'86 models... Being a carbed motor, it'll still be thirsty even with the OD tranny, but should work fine.

Two things *I'd* do... depending on what/how you plan to tow:
1) Go with a tire heavier than "C" rated... on most 3/4-1ton vehicles they're just too dang "squishy" for anything but empty driving
2) Check to see if it has an EXTERNAL tranny cooler (not the preheater circuit run thru the rad!)... if not, add the biggest (around 20K+ GVW) you can find

Caver Dave said:
depending on what/how you plan to tow

The CJ would be the biggest thing I'd tow. On a borrowed Loadmaster 7000lb trailer. MAYBE 2-3 times a year. Possibly to tellico, paragon, depending on how I end up finishing this Jeep :shaking:

Caver Dave said:
Go with a tire heavier than "C" rated... on most 3/4-1ton vehicles they're just too dang "squishy" for anything but empty driving

80% of the time it'll be a "family truckster" taking me and the family down to the fishing hole down a pretty rough road

13% of the time it'll be on the road to the coast

2% of the time it'll be on the outer banks running up and down the beach from fishin hole to fishin hole

3% of the time I'll be running up the road 8-10 miles on a saturday/sunday going to lowes/food lion/wendy's doing my weekend errands

2% of the time I'll be towing something heavy

I still have a set of "E" rated michellins it came with for the heavy duty stuff

Caver Dave said:
2) Check to see if it has an EXTERNAL tranny cooler (not the preheater circuit run thru the rad!)..

That would be a yes! as well as a tranny temp gauge inside

Back