Dual batteries

I run a stock 360 on propane with a Taurus fan and my shit overheats....WTH?

mid suspect you are too lean with your propane set up.

mid suspect you are too lean with your propane set up.
That could be possible but I've been running this set up for years without much issue. It's always ran warm, it is an AMC of course, but I still don't see why I should be getting as hot as I do now. Would timing have an effect?

That could be possible but I've been running this set up for years without much issue. It's always ran warm, it is an AMC of course, but I still don't see why I should be getting as hot as I do now. Would timing have an effect?
Timing too advanced has the same effect as a lean condition...

Timing too advanced has the same effect as a lean condition...
That's what I thought. I was always told to advance the timing until you got max vacuum. My engine drags like hell to get started. I guess I could always back off a bit.

You have dual Taurus fans? WTH for? Those things spike over 100 amps on start up.
My 11:1 400+ HP stroker with a stock 3.0 V6 radiator stays cool with a single one.
daium, i knew they draw a lot cause I see it in the gauge and feel the drop in motor for a second lol but dang, didn't know they draw that much.
so I'm getting the hint of use one battery with that 80amp solenoid and that's it? no second battery needed?, and this will power the fan even better?

5fc95a4253532dba8c368e1ce755bf97.jpg

I have several relays laying around, would this setup work better than what I have, which is one 40amp relay, I just looked and I have 2 more 40amp relays already in my toolbox.

and I'm still unclear on what I need for better battery setup...should I order the solenoid relay thing which will allow me to install that second battery? or is the solenoid relay for these fans which will not need a second battery? tryin to get this done before this weekends wheeling trip, thanks

and I'm still unclear on what I need for better battery setup...should I order the solenoid relay thing which will allow me to install that second battery? or is the solenoid relay for these fans which will not need a second battery? tryin to get this done before this weekends wheeling trip, thanks

Everything has been already covered.

Go back in the thread, read it again, do what everyone told you to do, be happy.

The question is why do you need/have 2 Taurus fans? That's the level of airflow a KOH rear rad buggy would require. Not a 4.0 ZJ crawler.
Why not remove one of them at a minimum. That additional electricla load isn't doing you any favors.
Post a pic of the fan setup. I'm curious how you adapted 2 shrouded Taurus fans on a ZJ radiator.

I kept going thru relays and melting wire for my 16” Spal fan, so I went with this.

Ironically I killed 2 alternators and the battery the first weekend out after installing, but I’m thinking that is coincidence.... or hoping.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rfw-ar70

The question is why do you need/have 2 Taurus fans? That's the level of airflow a KOH rear rad buggy would require. Not a 4.0 ZJ crawler.
Why not remove one of them at a minimum. That additional electricla load isn't doing you any favors.
Post a pic of the fan setup. I'm curious how you adapted 2 shrouded Taurus fans on a ZJ radiator.
I just used em cause I had em lol, they're not shrouded so now I see what you're getting at...shroud one fan would be much better, got it. So once I do this I shouldn't need a second battery? Thanks for bearing with me

And I'm running an xj radiator btw

We're trying to help ya.
Here's a pic of a Taurus fan. Is this what you have 2 of on an XJ radiator?
View attachment 325092
Well so I thought, older style maybe? Mine look identical but no shrouds but I suppose now maybe they're not lol. They're high powered fans though, very thick wiring and keeps motor at 180 with no shrouds in place

I just looked up part number next to ford emblem and they are Taurus fans

3d2fcfaf3c2a63a1b4e6b33f02eedda8.jpg

I don’t remember the full schematic from when I did this.

Small orange and blue wire are the lo/high speed wires that are grounded based on preset temps by the gauge.

Medium orange is the 12v from ignition relay.

It took 3 relays to make it work properly, wouldn’t do what we wanted with 2 relays.

<180° no fan
>180<200 low fan
>200 hi fan.

IIRC, one relay triggers the ST85 solenoid for High Speed.

One relay is for Low speed fan

One relay shuts off low speed when high speed it triggered.

Bc it’s all done thru the ground on the gauge trigger side, it needed the extra relay.

4th relay is a spare. Plus fuses for the relays and the 100a breaker for the load side.

The trigger wires are crimped, the load side is all solder with wire large enough to handle the current.

All mounted in front of radiator behind grill so the relays stay cooler and avoid heat soak.

Back