drum brake question

obvious question, but is the e-brake disengaged? Tapping (or beating) with soft face mallet can help too.

give it a couple good whacks right on the face, does it sping easily? if so then its prolly not the ebrake, but the shoes do get grooved and you might need to back the adjusters off, if not i hope you got some torches

Brendan

im in the same boat, same axle as you

both drums spin freely, and i can pry the back edges of the drums out from the backing plates, so i know for a fact thepads arent whats holding it

i beat out the wheelstuds, because i was told it could be sticking to them, and that didnt help at all, the problem is just that the center hole in the drum is basically too small, and becomes easily rust welded to the part of the axle flange that goes through it

of course i could destroy the drums to get them off, but it would be worth it to see if they are within spec and could be turned and reused if possible

ill post up if i figure anything out, but i only get to mess with those sort of things when im home from school on the weekends

Take a big dead blow and beat *in* on the outer edge of the drum. It seems counterintuitive, but it should help cock the drum sideways on the hub and walk it back off that boss. I've had good luck with this in the past.

I've been told that the shoulders on the hub boss and the drum were machined specifically to work this way.... but that's just a couple of old-timers talking... so there's no telling if it's true or not. ;)

awspence said:
both drums spin freely, and i can pry the back edges of the drums out from the backing plates, so i know for a fact thepads arent whats holding it

Just a few words of advice bro... you've proven that the shoes aren't rusted to/contacting the drum... that's all!

FWIW, I have seen numerous drums worn by the shoes... leaving enough of a lip (1/8" +) on the backside of the drums ID or grooves (corresponding w/ the rivets) on the face of the drums surface that you'll NEVER get them off without:

A) Turning the star adjusters back wards to FULLY retract the shoes. OR...
B) "Destructive removal" = torch, BFH, prying, etc...

It took me doing "B" once w/o the aid of power tools/torch :mad: , to learn "A" is the way to go... understanding that sometimes "A" just aint gonna happen due to heavy rust on the adjuster (won't turn in *either* direction), broken return springs (won't pull the shoes back in once pressure is removed/adjusters closed), & several other scenarios & combinations!

:beer:

use pb blaster or liquid wrench on the center hole, and tap the drum with a small hammer to allow the liquid to penetrate. and follow what Saf-t scissors said. The drums on my 9" did the same thing, but they came off eventually...

Back