Driving to mass and towing home

Probably 40w to 77n to 81. It was like 160-180 miles longer to take the interstate coming up out of the east side of the state. Watch cross winds. Heavy truck traffic. Other than that, don't fall asleep driving. Id take 84 into mass if your going to Central MA. Not exactly sure where it is and not looking at a map.

Probably 40w to 77n to 81. It was like 160-180 miles longer to take the interstate coming up out of the east side of the state. Watch cross winds. Heavy truck traffic. Other than that, don't fall asleep driving. Id take 84 into mass if your going to Central MA. Not exactly sure where it is and not looking at a map.

I would not head west from Mebane to I77, I would catch 29 in east GSO, or a little further west hit the new I73 to 220 to I81 (once you get on I40, you won't hit a stoplight til Ridgeway, Virginia where you fillup with cheap gas at Sheetz). I live well north of GSO, take 220 up to I81.

Well aside from catching up with other relocated yankees, this thread suddenly became quite relevant to me. Appears I'll need to take a trip to central MA (Worcester County) towards the end of the month. Its been probably 10 years since I've driven up there and back then I took 85N to 95N, with a few small detours to get around NYC and take the Tappanzee Bridge.

Based on the feedback here it appears I'll be taking I-81 to I-78, then I-287 to White Plains, I-684/84 through CT & into Mass, and I-90 to I-290 south of Worcester.

@RenegadeT @a_kelley @StretchASU @NC-V @336wheeler - got any recommendations for a noob on this route? Anything to watch out for?

What's the best route to catch I-81 if I'm starting in Mebane (about halfway between Raleigh and Greensboro)?

Sounds like you have the right idea getting to NY/CT and around NYC. I never have to go to Woostah, I hook back to I95 in CT and race (usually getting passed while going 80+) almost to Rhode Island.

Last edited:
upload_2018-4-11_15-51-55.png

I would recommend this route for the central Mass trip.

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-11_15-50-54.png
    upload_2018-4-11_15-50-54.png
    422.5 KB · Views: 223
Back