Driving to mass and towing home

a_kelley

mechanical fixer
Anything I need to know about going to Massachusetts and towing a car back with a truck and trailer? (Other than obvious PM on vehicle and trailer & carry two spares) thought about renting uhaul trailer up there if it can be driven back, but I don't think uhaul rental trailers have brakes.

I think the Uhaul trailers have surge brakes.

Check with BigTex and United Rentals. Both have tasker rentals that are way cheaper than uhaul.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

You shouldn't burn much extra fuel towing an empty trailer. If you have your own trailer you trust, why the hassle with a rental?

Not many coming down the back way. 95 there would be. Going to route extra 160 mi on the way back to avoid 77 right near the NC VA line.. I don't like that hill.

I recommend taking the I-81N to I-78E to I-278E route. That's the trucker route to Mass and it avoids a lot of the tolls. I've spent upwards of $120+ one way going the I-95 route through DC and Baltimore in a DRW straight truck. A trailer will be 2 more axles than that. You'll end up saving time going the long way around, trust me I've done the NE route enough times to know the ins and outs.

Where in Mass? My family is up in western mass so we always go (twice a year, at least) 77-81-84-91. I would highly recommend that route if going to the western side. Only toll is the bridge in NY and it is a couple bucks with a trailer ($1.50 for car). Aside from random construction and accidents, it is an uneventful, scenic drive. Don't speed in VA, and don't bring any firearms... If you get in a bind west of Worcester, my BIL is a wheeler up there and could probably help out.

I usually take that route up & back. It's shorter than 95. Some concern coming back over fancy gap.. so might re route thru VA and eastern nc. I got 4 trailer brakes on the trailer so it shouldn't be a problem but my nerves aren't what they used to be. Swansea & Dartmouth is where my people are. We've made the trip a bunch of times over the last 14 years.

Where in Mass? My family is up in western mass so we always go (twice a year, at least) 77-81-84-91. I would highly recommend that route if going to the western side. Only toll is the bridge in NY and it is a couple bucks with a trailer ($1.50 for car). Aside from random construction and accidents, it is an uneventful, scenic drive. Don't speed in VA, and don't bring any firearms... If you get in a bind west of Worcester, my BIL is a wheeler up there and could probably help out.

I went over a bridge into NY with a trailer(2dr JK with 12ft trailer), it was $30 toll, and NJ was just as much. Once you leave the south everyone seems to think you should pay them to drive on roads.

@336wheeler is spot on.

Depending on where you are going in Mass, once you hit PA there are a few different ways to go.

Central Mass and east: I-81 to I-78 then get on I-287 around Bridgewater PA. Take I-287 to White Plains and hit I-684/84 up through Danbury, Hartford and into Mass where you'd pick up I-90 just southwest of Worcester.

Western mass: Same as everything above but just Stay on I87 until Albany and then pick up I90.

The Bridge I'm talking about on 84 in NY is a one way toll, only northbound. $1.50 for cars and I think it was $4 or $3.50 last October for my yukon with a dual axle car trailer. That is the one and only toll on that route and why I go that way.

I went to Connecticut once with an ex GF.
Dunkin Donuts and liquor stores on every corner up there.
Also of note, fast talking I-talians don't like slow talking hillbillies holding up the line at Giganti's Subs.

There's a reason I never moved back up there. Overall too fast and crowded for my likings. And everyone's an asshole. Especially driving. Probably another good reason not to bring any heat. Lol

The Bridge I'm talking about on 84 in NY is a one way toll, only northbound. $1.50 for cars and I think it was $4 or $3.50 last October for my yukon with a dual axle car trailer. That is the one and only toll on that route and why I go that way.

I took the George Washington bridge, also one way toll but they get what they need in that one way!

I usually cross the tappanzee bridge.. I think that's 287 just before 95. Was moving down here in 05 and the expansion joints set up a harmonic in the 5x8 enclosed I had behind my xj, wife called up and said look in your mirror.. I did and saw the side of the trailer... I think I either slowly slowed or accelerated to break the oscillations. Didn't even feel it swinging.. i was doing 55. SMH.

Ended up taking 40-77-81-78-287-95-195. That's my usual route. Borrowed a 99 Silverado 1500 5.3 and a nice car hauler. Towed great other than eating fuel @ 10.2 mpg. Put my brake controller in it.. I was surprised that coming down fancy gap that I didn't really even need to hit the brakes, except a time or two.

Well aside from catching up with other relocated yankees, this thread suddenly became quite relevant to me. Appears I'll need to take a trip to central MA (Worcester County) towards the end of the month. Its been probably 10 years since I've driven up there and back then I took 85N to 95N, with a few small detours to get around NYC and take the Tappanzee Bridge.

Based on the feedback here it appears I'll be taking I-81 to I-78, then I-287 to White Plains, I-684/84 through CT & into Mass, and I-90 to I-290 south of Worcester.

@RenegadeT @a_kelley @StretchASU @NC-V @336wheeler - got any recommendations for a noob on this route? Anything to watch out for?

What's the best route to catch I-81 if I'm starting in Mebane (about halfway between Raleigh and Greensboro)?

Back