Double cardan joint questions

DannyH

smokey burnouts
So I am pondering driveshafts currently. I have two double cardan joint driveshafts that I am considering reworking for a build which is front and rear 4 link. And in most cases I see the joints in the front and not the rear. I plan on running it in the front (I believe the purpose here is for correct castor adjustment-please correct me if I'm wrong). My question is, should I run a double cardan driveshaft in the rear? If so, how will this effect my driveline besides changing how I set pinion angle? Is a double cardan joint going to be significantly weaker?

I must've missed the forum that goes over this..

fb0ee1549fc87aadbb44428d0718dbea.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's my understanding that a double cardan is to be used when ever the yokes are not parallel

I had one on the rear of my last rig. I think you will be fine, but I'm far from an expert.

Like ^^, I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure there's some vibration issues if you run a double cardan at highway speed. That's why that joint is only on the front, and you have a lower recommended speed when driving in 4x4 down the highway.

If these (yota?) joints are anything like jeep Driveshafts they will help neutralize and vibrations. Just point the axle yokes at the tcase outputs and it should be silky smooth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm running one at the transfer case, front and rear. Many vehicles have them stock as well so there's no vibration issues. 80s broncos had one at the case stock rear driveshaft. A friend of mine had a 2003 f250 regular cab longbed truck that had one there too. I've seen extended cab s10 pickups that had a double cards setup at the rear axle and at the transmission on the same driveshaft.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Back