Dodge Raider

EvilEric

Does anybody else on here have the loveable,durable mini suv that was only here for 3 years? Im a diehard fanatic of these things. Let me know.

I love those too. G54B is rock solid engine - when the swirl valves aren't cracking the head(!)
Had Conquest awhile back, so I know the motor, but the raiders are awesome looking trucks, and ready made for a turbo!

My dad and I both have '87 Monteros. I loved it on the trails, but lacking power on the road. Did well for me but the bearings went out in my engine. If you are interested in buying any for parts let me know. I have the '87 Montero 2 door for parts, an '87 (I think) Raider for parts, and my dad may even want to sell his '87 Montero that he drives daily.

Eli, where are you, this thread is all you.

I know how could I miss this! I am up to 3 of them, 2 Raiders and 1 Montero myself. All 88 year SWB rigs. The crown jewel of my collection isn't my red truck actually that has been modified, its my brown Montero that doesn't run (needs a carburetor). It is a unicorn truck with the high altitude package, denoting 4.88s. One day those 4.88s will be going into my red truck, and I will swap the 4.62s into the brown one.

Calling me addicted is an understatement.... :lol:

My Montero/Raider Children:

1016091146a.jpg

1016091150a.jpg

And a more up to date picture with bumpers/sliders of me goofing around in what used to be the rut on Saw Mill:

0409101314a.jpg

Eli, very impressive collection. Especially the montero swb, really dont see alot of those around. Currently, looking for my 2nd Raider, it'll be a trail only rig.

Eli, very impressive collection. Especially the montero swb, really dont see alot of those around. Currently, looking for my 2nd Raider, it'll be a trail only rig.

Good luck in your hunt! A buddy of mine I wheel with is selling his 91 LWB Montero for about half of what he could get for it. If only I had the $$$, but instead a co-worker that totaled his car hitting not one but 2 deer will be jumping on it. At least I will get to see the truck at work a couple days a week to remind me what a hell of a deal I missed out on. :lol::lol:

ive always wheeled full size rigs, but recently became interested in something smaller since my buddy gave up is 80 GMC and got a little ranger, he has more fun than me and blows thru the trails at URE
i have a chance to buy two of these raider things, they seem like theyd be fun.
hows the aftermarket support
i can get both, running for $700

Let me first say depending on what kind of condition they are in, you are looking at a steal for $700 both of them running. Usually one not running sells for $400-$600, and that is for the 4 Cylinder trucks. If you are looking at V6 Trucks then you are really getting one hell of a deal.

The aftermarket support is different on each side of the coin. On the replacement parts/maintenance side its not bad. You can usually find most common parts that you may need to replace etc. On the other side is the modifications aftermarket which is very slim. Here is your aftermarket (and DYI options) for the Gen 1 Trucks:

1"-3" Body Lift
2-1/2" Drop Shackles (For 84-88 Leaf Sprung Rear Trucks)
ARB Front Bumper
ARB Rear Locker (84-91)
ARB Front Locker (89-91)
Rugged Ridge Manual Hubs
5.29 Gears from Australia (Rare/Hard to find)
2.85 Transfer Case Gears ($1,200...Australia)
Dakar Rear Leaf Springs (1"-2" Lift)
Rear Helper Springs (1" Lift)
Custom Front/Rear Bumpers/Sliders from 4x4Wire
Swapping Gen 2 (92-99) Coil Springs on the 89-91 Trucks (1"-2" Lift)
Swapping a Montero Sport or Montero SR rear axle with OEM Air Locker
Cranking front Torsion Bars for 1"-2" Lift
Swapping Gen 2 (92-99) UCAs on the 84-91 Trucks
Lincoln Lock Front or Rear (welded diffs)

Beyond this you have to start doing an SAS plus custom fab work. Keep in mind though you can fit 33" Tires on the truck stock. And you can fit 35"s with about $200 worth of mods. Also these trucks come with either 4.62s or 4.88s (rare) in the diffs so you don't have to worry about upgrading the diff ratios unless you want to go to 5.29s. And beyond that a lot of them at least come with a rear LSD.

Just by slapping on some 33"s you can do everything at Uwharrie. Put some lift on, weld up the diffs, etc and add 35"s and you can do most of the lines on Kodak. :beer:

ive always wheeled full size rigs, but recently became interested in something smaller since my buddy gave up is 80 GMC and got a little ranger, he has more fun than me and blows thru the trails at URE

Hey man, if you dont want them, wanna hook me up on that deal?

theres one of these that sets a few house down from me. i always liked it and never could figure out what it was. i first thought it was a tintop sami then seen it was IFS. these things are neat lil rigs.

HELP! HELP! HELP!

Ok, I was out at Tufflight in Rowan county, tearin it up, locked the 4wd in before i hit the dirt, climbing around, runnin through shallow mud holes, etc. My buddy got out to spot me around a corner and noticed my front wheel wasn't turning. Long story short, got back to the shop, lifted it up, checked the tcase, and cv's. Both good, pulled the auto hub cap off and the splines weren't pushing out to engage, dont know why. Anybody with a Raider or Montero have this problem before? Im a 89' 3.0, automatic with auto locking hubs.

Another question, could I switch to manual locking hub?

Ok, I was out at Tufflight in Rowan county, tearin it up, locked the 4wd in before i hit the dirt, climbing around, runnin through shallow mud holes, etc. My buddy got out to spot me around a corner and noticed my front wheel wasn't turning. Long story short, got back to the shop, lifted it up, checked the tcase, and cv's. Both good, pulled the auto hub cap off and the splines weren't pushing out to engage, dont know why. Anybody with a Raider or Montero have this problem before? Im a 89' 3.0, automatic with auto locking hubs.
Another question, could I switch to manual locking hub?

had this prob on an 87 nissan hardbody with the IFS one day at URE. had manual hubs tho, which are way different than your auto hubs, dont know if this helps but for what its worth, it turned out to be the spring on the outter side of the hub wasnt "springy" enough to push in the gear to engage it.

Hey man, if you dont want them, wanna hook me up on that deal?

went by the guys place today and both were gone! guess we really missed out on that one. we coulda split the cost and got those bad boys for $350.
not really crazy bout IFS but for that price i could really have some fun with it.

I have an 87 Dodge Raider (non-running)that my family would like to send out to scrap. I grew up with this car, purchased new from the dealership and it was awesome to drive. The main reason I don't want to scrap it is that it was in a movie with Claude Skins called Pushed Too Far. While he didn't drive it, the main family drove it across the Greenfield, Indiana courthouse lawn. We have a VHS tape of the movie somewhere. It was a B film if you ever saw one. Quite possibly C quality. If you know of anyone interested, this is free to a good home, provided you pick it up. We are located outside of Columbia, SC. Please let me know if you are interested, or if there is a better website for this. I would rather see this car have a second life than end up a tax deduction from a scrap yard.
Thanks,
Dylan

I have an 87 Dodge Raider (non-running)that my family would like to send out to scrap. I grew up with this car, purchased new from the dealership and it was awesome to drive. The main reason I don't want to scrap it is that it was in a movie with Claude Skins called Pushed Too Far. While he didn't drive it, the main family drove it across the Greenfield, Indiana courthouse lawn. We have a VHS tape of the movie somewhere. It was a B film if you ever saw one. Quite possibly C quality. If you know of anyone interested, this is free to a good home, provided you pick it up. We are located outside of Columbia, SC. Please let me know if you are interested, or if there is a better website for this. I would rather see this car have a second life than end up a tax deduction from a scrap yard.
Thanks,
Dylan

Hi Dylan! do you still have this Raider? I am interested in acquiring it

Thanks,
Dylan
Did you get rid of this rig?...Thanks

Back