Dodge CTD transmission options

drkelly

Dipstick who put two vehicles on jack stands
I've been looking for a Dodge CTD for a couple of months or so. I am amazed at how many automatics are out there and so few manuals when everyone seems to want a manual. It seems like 80-90% of the trucks for sale have an auto. Did Dodge really push the auto on the dealer lots or something?

I think it's the opposite...

a 50/50 production, but the folks with manuals AIN'T sellin'!
The autos from the "Big 3" just plain vacuum so bad, nobody wants them! :D

I have a 96 CTD 3500 2wd auto and it really needs another gear between 3rd and 4th. On the hills it dogs out in 4th but over revs in 3rd. as long as I can kepp it over 2k rpms then I am ok but if it drops below then I am screwed.
but it is not really a big issue. I might turn it up a little to help on the hills but normal driving it is fine in its stock form.

I think it's the opposite...
a 50/50 production, but the folks with manuals AIN'T sellin'!
The autos from the "Big 3" just plain vacuum so bad, nobody wants them! :D

I don't think that is the case. Look at the new ones on the lot, out of 3 dealers, together they had approx. 40-45 trucks, I saw 2 manuals.

Danny - I'll agree with Dave on this - nobody is selling manuals - well wait - Danny I think you know where a manual 99 is for sell buddy :)

CTD 3500 2wd auto and it really needs another gear between 3rd and 4th. On the hills it dogs out in 4th but over revs in 3rd..

I couldn't agree more! Thing is, our 3rd is a 5-speed's 4th, and the OD ratios aren't THAT much different.. .69 vs. .73 IIRC?

Couple that with it NOT being a good idea to be "in the pedal" below 1500rpm (manual OR auto), and it gets annoying quickly.

But, throw a 3000rpm governor spring kit in there (especially for the autos, not so much for a '96-'98 5 speed), and your powerband will be extended quite a bit.

IMO, ever since pickups became nicer inside, consumers have asked for more auto's.

Danny - I'll agree with Dave on this - nobody is selling manuals - well wait - Danny I think you know where a manual 99 is for sell buddy :)

Yep, and I am still considering that one.

I originally was looking at 99-02 models, but started looking at 03-05 models as well and it seems like a manual is even harder to find in those years. Was the same auto tranny used behind the Cummins from about 98 to 2006?

Is the 48re worth a damn? I hear a lot of bad things about the autos from the earlier years. Those must be the 47re.

That was one of the funny things I noticed on my drive back with my truck.. While in texas, you'd think they were OEM equipment... but the further I got from TX, the less and less trucks I saw with the bambi-slayers...

Back