Dodge 2500 (gas burner)

Discussion in 'Tow Rigs and Trailers' started by shelby27604, Sep 23, 2019.

1. shelby27604

shelby27604 Well-Known Member

Looking at a 2nd. Gen Ram 2500, was hoping to find a V10 with an NV4500, but instead I have found a 5.9l magnum with the NV4500 and 3.55 gears.

Years ago I had a 1998 K2500 with the 5.7l / NV4500 / 4.10's /33's and it seemed to struggle with anything over 6,000lbs.....on paper the 5.9l magnum and the 5.7l vortec seem "comparable"......anyone have experience with this setup? Tow capacity is listed at just under 9k and I would probably use every bit of it.

I know the 5.9l will be thirsty, but I am not really concerned about that, I don't mind going up grades at 55mph and not using 5th gear when towing as long as the power is there. Seems like you can wake the 5.9l up a bit with an ECU reflash (to delete the "death flash" from the dealer) once you have sealed up the intake properly and dropped in a cooler t-stat.....but again, I am more concerned about reliability.

2. NickMaul

NickMaul Well-Known Member

@JC had that setup for a while. He might have regeared his axles. Not sure but he towed a CJ buggy all over with it. Went to Moab in 2011 IIRC. So it is possible :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. 77GreenMachine

77GreenMachine Phillip Talton

JC is no longer on the forum I believe.

I think his was a V10 if I remember right.

My friend had a 2500 with the 5.9 and I can’t think of a more gutless truck. I’m shocked it’s rated at 9k cause his struggled with 2 riding mowers on a small utility trailer. One time we put a four wheeler in the bed, 2 on a trailer along with a dirt bike and you’d have thought we were pulling a parachute down the road! Granted his was an automatic, and probably could have used a tune up. I don’t want to discourage you, maybe someone else can chime in. I know the V10 will get the job done all day but that 5.9 wasn’t too impressive.

4. shelby27604

Seems the 5.9l is going to be underwhelming, but all the V10's I am finding are more than the truck I am looking at, and have the automatic trans. (which seems to be a guarantee that a rebuild is in your future).

It looks like some pretty simple tricks can wake up the 5.9l a bit.....I am going to make the trek to check it out this weekend. Fingers crossed I suppose.

5. BigClay

BigClay Well-Known Member

JC's was most definitely a 5.9 360 gas truck, one of the reasons I went with the V10.

To the OP, any of the auto trans in these trucks are gonna be the weak link. I have the 5 speed NV4500 in my V10, and I have had no troubles with it. If you can find a V8 with the manual, it wouldn't be horrible, but it wouldn't be the most desirable engine.

77GreenMachine and NickMaul like this.
  6. shelby27604

went and checked out two trucks today, a V8/NV4500 club cab, long bed, 4wd. The second truck was a V10/47RH reg. cab long bed 4wd....the V10 had a second gear slip, but was otherwise nice.

When all was said and done, I went with the 5.9l with a hand shaker! The price was right, she needs some love, but made it 200 miles he at 70mph.

Attached Files:

tlucier, NickMaul, doc and 1 other person like this.
  7. Pennsylvaniaboy

Pennsylvaniaboy Well-Known Member

which ever you buy....gears. I have a ford v10,4.30 gears and I cant imagine having less gearing...

8. 77GreenMachine

77GreenMachine Phillip Talton

Maybe with the 5speed it will pull much better than my buddies with the auto. I hope it works out well for you, get a load hooked to that thing and report back to us!

9. /dev/yj

/dev/yj Ralph Graw

I've got a '98 5.9 gas auto w/4.10s. And larger tires than stock. Would love to regear. Engine still has good compression, could probably benefit from new injectors but is headed for 3rd tranny rebuild. If you end up with tweaks to get more out of the 5.9 or a way to swap a manual in, I'd love to hear it. Truthfully, the heavier a load in the bed, the more the tranny is happy. I think that's one of the contributing factors. YMMV

10. Lee

Lee ECGS

I towed for many years with a 5.9 auto ram. M1 intake manifold/throttle body/headers and gears made a world of difference on it. I ate through a few autos and swapped in an nv4500. The truck actually towed better with the auto though. The nv4500 has to much of a jump from 2nd-3rd and the gasser does not have enough low end torque to over come this when towing heavy loads in my opinion. With the nv4500 it just never seemed to be in the correct gear for towing. turned to many rpms in 4th and just didnt have enough grunt for 5th in my opinion. this was with 35" tires and 4.56 gears also fyi.

11. shelby27604

Truck drives / pulls a lot like my old K2500...which had a 5.7l vortec and NV4500 w/4.10 gears....which isn't bad, cause this one has 3.55 gears.

I suspect the plenum plate is leaking, and the truck needs a good tune-up. If I can find a set of donor 4.10 axles I will swap them in, but I probably won't throw the cash at a regear.

The very first thing this rig needs is some attention paid to the brakes, no load is getting pulled until I can get a good firm pedal and no left/right pull on hard braking.

12. /dev/yj

/dev/yj Ralph Graw

Don't get me started on the pull when braking - been a nightmare search for the cause. I'm finally learning that the '96 (typo in my earlier post) had a taper on the knuckles and tie rod that was unique amongst the various years (Thuren website link pending). I chose to upgrade to a T-style from a later year to get a beefier setup, but the taper has been grinding for years. The unit bearings don't make it easy either. Not sure where I'm headed next but driving this thing is getting scary.