Documentary YJ Build

Props to all those people that can lay down a slick coat of paint, and especially those who do it for a living! It’s not as easy as I thought!

The Jeep is totally in primer. I have already painted the cage, and the Jeep, hood, and fenders are in primer ready for black paint tomorrow afternoon. I’m just using the quart of Rust-Oleum, cut with 15% acetone and spraying with a harbor freight purple gun. I have never painted anything like this before so I’ve just been winging it and learning as I go. Hopefully, it looks good from 20’ away....

Not sure why I decided to tackle all of this with less than a month before a big trip o_O
:nopics:

Teaser pic....

The cage is raised up (I couldn’t get it out) so I could paint the dash bar. I used rattle can primer on the rear, but white spray gun primer on the body and the rest of the cage.

I have documented every step, but for some silly reason I want the “unveiling” of the makeover to be at AOP, where I’m sure I will receive lots of criticism and such for the color scheme. Oh well, it’s my Jeep. And I really wanted to make it very different so that it is “my Jeep” and no longer “David’s old Jeep”.

I have always liked odd colors, which is why I like my XJ so much. So when my wife picked out the odd cage color I thought it would be neat and I was on board. My wife is awesome so I let her pick.

Also, huge shout out to her for being so patient with this project and it taking up most of my time at home lately. She has been very supportive and understanding.
99B8989E-757F-4066-8FE2-BCAF2A5925A5.jpeg

Well, the Jeep is totally painted. I learned a LOT about what not to do when painting a vehicle. I also really messed up the mixing. My friend who recommend the qt of Rust-Oleum and Actetone told me to mix it 50/50. Well the back of the can said “up to 15%”. I called him 4 times today to double check but I couldn’t reach him. I was thinking maybe he said 15% and I didn’t hear him right. He’s an idiot most of the time, so I mixed it according to what the can said. That didn’t work out very good!

It was basically spitting out of the gun, and very inconsistent. I pushed thru and painted the whole Jeep with this paint gun that was basically ejaculating black paint everywhere like a teenager with this crazy spray. I even stopped and thinned it more, same thing. I texted my buddy and told him he was a dick for not answering and my bad paint job was his fault. Magically he was available and called. Said I had to cut it 50/50. I said many things to him that I will apologize for tomorrow, and called my other buddy who paints for a living. Luckily, with his advice I laid a thin second coat that was mixed 50/50 and it flattened everything out and turned out pretty good. I imagine it would look even better had I cut the paint that much to begin with, cause it sprayed out super nice and even that way.

Anyways, I finally have some help lined up tomorrow afternoon and hope to make a few more major mile stones! So long as work doesn’t stop me, as I may have to go to an event at 5:30 that will wreck my Jeep plans. I am so close to having this thing totally done! I have taken to time to check everything mechanically and feel pretty good about it other than one U Joint that I will change this weekend.

Don’t be surprised if I give in and post a pic tomorrow. I suck at surprises and I’m not sure this is worth it anyway. I mean, I really have put a lot of work into it and I need Facebook to know and give me likes so I can feel accomplished and appreciated. (Sarcasm inserted)

Don’t be surprised if I give in and post a pic tomorrow. I suck at surprises and I’m not sure this is worth it anyway. I mean, I really have put a lot of work into it and I need Facebook to know and give me likes so I can feel accomplished and appreciated. (Sarcasm inserted)
That and some of us only get to see what gets posted on nc4x4. Forget face space. You'll get more likes here. Not all of us are independently wealthy and get to go wheeling whenever/wherever we want to.

:bounce: :rockon:

I’m giving in and letting everyone see it so I can get all the criticism out of the way before AOP. Gonna go in order of the progress. If you’re on FaceSpace you’ve already seen it. So here’s how I got to that point.

f4a50a96bd00cd552e440ebb0f410439.jpg

New tub all patched up in temporary primer. I cut the wheel wells the way David had them and I’m very happy with that vs the comp cut.

I set the fuel cell in and wired it up all sketchy like to pull it out and wash it good to get all the dust and contamination off before primer.
11bea2acbdd8cc97ac162e90d67aa84f.jpg

0445643d0e32959aa2e1051c9c010b5f.jpg

cd6b3db1297b23d54fcb894da2f28286.jpg

9e33e2134564b37e9215b0f57daba04f.jpg

Pulled it back in to tape it up and spray primer. I sprayed the cage and the body in white primer at the same time.

Stripping the cage down to bare metal had me at a point where I wanted to walk away from this project or take a long break, but that wasn’t an option.

098d36b3fb5e830b6dced6877c82dd2c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I taped the body up and began painting the cage the wild color me and the wife chose. It’s Sea Glass Green. And yes I like it. A lot. And so does my wife, and she hasn’t even asked how much money I spent on all of this so happy wife=happy life.

3115cb5e186ad69c78ef91a7823f410e.jpg

Several coats were applied, and painting the cage was very hard to cover every nook and cranny. I used canned spray paint for the cage. Funny story, I bought the wrong color at first because I have a color deficiency for green/blue and it all looks similar to me. Long story best told in person about that, ask me at AOP. I bought Carolina blue at first by accident.

b7632e81f7c769292d64d44922b517ae.jpg

Since I’m not painting in a dust free environment, I decided to hang the hood so it would not be such a large horizontal surface to collect dust in the wet paint. This had its drawbacks but work well enough. Rigged up some sketchy stuff with ratchet straps.

625484d56c37b8054b632eb30b4829d0.jpg

cecb080b1134b57572b2b204d95464c0.jpg

I also decided to prime and paint the fenders the same way instead of rattle can.
b88221cf04d9b783f71dcf95a24476c6.jpg

The next day I washed and dried the Jeep again and laid down some black.
672053718db53de0d04151d32bab4ff4.jpg

7c5784d19db6ad0b263d2f81a27f5f34.jpg

Thanks to @Chris_Keziah for letting me use his air compressor when mine decided to give up the ghost.

I also removed the grill, sanded it down and painted it to match the cage. Already gotten some hate for that, but I think it goes together well and makes it pop.

In this pic it looks like it’s a different color but it’s just the light.
3d581ee871150f8486a36c86be3f31a0.jpg

I taped the body up and began painting the cage the wild color me and the wife chose. It’s Sea Glass Green. And yes I like it. A lot. And so does my wife, and she hasn’t even asked how much money I spent on all of this so happy wife=happy life.

Several coats were applied, and painting the cage was very hard to cover every nook and cranny. I used canned spray paint for the cage. Funny story, I bought the wrong color at first because I have a color deficiency for green/blue and it all looks similar to me. Long story best told in person about that, ask me at AOP. I bought Carolina blue at first by accident.

Since I’m not painting in a dust free environment, I decided to hang the hood so it would not be such a large horizontal surface to collect dust in the wet paint. This had its drawbacks but work well enough. Rigged up some sketchy stuff with ratchet straps.

I also decided to prime and paint the fenders the same way instead of rattle can.

Thanks to @Chris_Keziah for letting me use his air compressor when mine decided to give up the ghost.

I also removed the grill, sanded it down and painted it to match the cage. Already gotten some hate for that, but I think it goes together well and makes it pop.

I'm f'n diggin the color man :rockon:

Don't know if I like the grill color matched or not yet, but hey... it's not my damn jeep so it really doesn't matter. Been awesome watching this come together. Looking forward to seeing it in person!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Got the hood back on. Had every intention of getting the dent in the cowl out but forgot and said screw it.

9e08b144086da4b64acea6f48d8a34ed.jpg

Then today for the first time, I got to see it outside in the sun light. I cleaned it up and even felt like some tire shine was in order.
af85a5f9c6fae0292145d6657b0bd2b6.jpg

f5b57d193bbccee60be7c84a38480999.jpg

I also added a Boss Rebel Bluetooth stereo. It runs off my phone but it also has a volume knob in the dash so I don’t have to fumble with my phone to turn it down. It rocks out, loud! And clear too! I can’t even turn it half way up. 4 speakers, very compact, weather proof, for $100. Money well spent.
9b440901464e32cb495fd0abca9f7de8.jpg

When I had the cage stripped down I welded some tabs for the rear speakers, and a tab for a CB antenna.
1a35a2c21d82a426d1d3f545eda0f0fd.jpg

I also added a Beard rear seat with child harnesses for the kids. It’s tight but they have plenty of room. An adult would not be too comfy there but could get a ride out of a trail if needed.

I also painted the fuel cell cradle the same as the cage and grill.
1be34a6148a0f1c45114ac4cacf00bc5.jpg

018cc209adadc443ef7859ee0f8e075c.jpg

fa3cef48d06b31b615b006442e8e0218.jpg

And of course, some Dale Yeah stickers!

Already gotten some hate for that, but I think it goes together well
Sorry, but unless they're paying your bills or giving you a happy ending, they can hug a root!!
You got one person to make happy (2 if you count yourself, but if you've learned it well, you know it's really only 1) and if you've cover that they can piss off

When I got the Jeep, the tan dash had been spray painted black, but it was peeling off everywhere and looked like dookie. David gave me a mint dash and all the other trim parts and I replaced that before I started all this.
Well, when I took the plastic off for the first time after paint, instead of being excited I was instantly disappointed because the tan dash sticks out like a sore thumb. So I will strip all the paint off the other dash, and use the real vinyl die to paint it black the right way and install the black dash, but this will be after AOP.

I still need to install the CB and give it a good bolt check as well as change the front drive shaft and service the front hubs. Also service my truck and trailer and get it all ready to go to AOP on Thursday!

I have never wheeled this rig, only driven around my hood. So my first time wheeling it will be at AOP!

When I got the Jeep, the tan dash had been spray painted black, but it was peeling off everywhere and looked like dookie. David gave me a mint dash and all the other trim parts and I replaced that before I started all this.
Well, when I took the plastic off for the first time after paint, instead of being excited I was instantly disappointed because the tan dash sticks out like a sore thumb. So I will strip all the paint off the other dash, and use the real vinyl die to paint it black the right way and install the black dash, but this will be after AOP.

I still need to install the CB and give it a good bolt check as well as change the front drive shaft and service the front hubs. Also service my truck and trailer and get it all ready to go to AOP on Thursday!

I have never wheeled this rig, only driven around my hood. So my first time wheeling it will be at AOP!

At one point @XJsavage had a a gray dash for free on here... I’ll keep an eye out for a black one for ya man.

Glad someone is giving her some love.

At one point @XJsavage had a a gray dash for free on here... I’ll keep an eye out for a black one for ya man.

Glad someone is giving her some love.

It has changed a lot! You’re welcome to stroll on over here tomorrow afternoon and see it in person if you want. I still have your hood I can send you home with.

Sorry, but unless they're paying your bills or giving you a happy ending, they can hug a root!!
You got one person to make happy (2 if you count yourself, but if you've learned it well, you know it's really only 1) and if you've cover that they can piss off

I’m sure you remember a detailed convo at Windrock, so you know I have no problems keeping my wife happy cause of what I get in return :D

It has changed a lot! You’re welcome to stroll on over here tomorrow afternoon and see it in person if you want. I still have your hood I can send you home with.
You gonna paint the diff cover?

I’m just blacking everything out on the axles and all. I don’t wanna get carried away and do too much with the green.

So the Jeep done absolutely amazing at AOP! I love it. It’s a really stable, predictable, point and shoot rig in my opinion.
Funny how opinions differ by the way. This Jeep has plenty of power in my opinion, so much so that I wound up texting David to ask if work had been done to the motor. He said he didn’t think so and he always thought it was lacking. Perspective is everything, and I’ve never driven a manual 4.0 engine. My XJ has a very low mileage motor but man that AW4 soaks up a lot of power. I love the direct drive immediate power this YJ has. 5:13 gears may play a big roll in that.

Anyways I drug this thing down to AOP with no less than 13 people pulling alongside me to give me the rock on sign and even one dude in a WJ revving his engine at me for 1/2 a mile screaming “yeah buddy!”

I did not listen to someone previous post here about putting a back plate on the butt weld in the body to help add strength. I flopped the Jeep onto its side and promptly split that weld open. That re-mangled the drivers side, scraped the cage pretty good, and left some odd color paint scheme on a rock. I was able to throw it in reverse quickly and back out of it no problem. It was pretty cool and I think I can fix it up a little.

6f2f848183279dd9dde5659c05225a0c.jpg

9b7be90af426225c4a069b014734c1a6.jpg

90b4b095bfd581c780df849ecb63d822.jpg

The stereo is totally awesome and worth $100 without a doubt.
Also, David mentioned the Jeep running warm with that radiator and the lack of air gap. That was based on the factory gauge, which I replaced. With the fan on it runs below 160*. In fact I turned the fan off at times to get some better floor heat, which will run you out!

But you gotta remember to cut the fan back on!
5f425e820116d2754f91c5a0776f4ebd.jpg

Turned the fan on and it was back down within minutes.

Saturday the rain came in for real, and I decided to climb a steep muddy hill that was a full throttle assault. Literally 3-4 minutes of 2nd gear rev limiter. It was my favorite part of the whole trip. I finally made it up, but had broken a rear brake line somehow and brake fluid pissed on the exhaust. I’ll be replacing both rear lines tomorrow with upgrades.

Last edited:
Speaking of brakes, riddle me this....

When the Jeep is not running, I have a good firm pedal. Start it up and it goes way down. It has brakes, and it will lock the tires up. But it might require a quick pump to do it. But again when it’s not running the pedal feels great. Start it and the pedal goes way down and is spongy. Before this trip I bled all the brakes and got no air.

At this point it ran out of fluid and has been that way with a broken hose since Saturday, so when I replace the lines I will need to bench bleed the master, then all the lines. I wonder if the rubber line that broke has been expanding and that’s been my problem? Also, not sure if the prop valve has ever been removed to accommodate the rear discs? Good time to do it now.

Speaking of brakes, riddle me this....

When the Jeep is not running, I have a good firm pedal. Start it up and it goes way down. It has brakes, and it will lock the tires up. But it might require a quick pump to do it. But again when it’s not running the pedal feels great. Start it and the pedal goes way down and is spongy. Before this trip I bled all the brakes and got no air.

At this point it ran out of fluid and has been that way with a broken hose since Saturday, so when I replace the lines I will need to bench bleed the master, then all the lines. I wonder if the rubber line that broke has been expanding and that’s been my problem? Also, not sure if the prop valve has ever been removed to accommodate the rear discs? Good time to do it now.

I always had that problem. I just kept the pedal pumped up when running downhill. With motor reved it was firm enough for me.
Glad you’re having fun with it.

Back