Documentary YJ Build

No room to spoon in my bed
harlanbed.jpg

Think I'll break my junk next time on purpose so I can ride in Ranger just to see what kind of no no squares exist in there.

You'll be amazed by the complete lack of visibility. It's bad.
However, the shock value of sheer DGAF and ample use of the throttle make up for it.

You'll be amazed by the complete lack of visibility. It's bad.
However, the shock value of sheer DGAF and ample use of the throttle make up for it.

Oh I remember, pure Django moment
xRthEpSh.jpg

I was gonna reply a few replies ago, but I think I'll just leave this alone. lol
Awe, come on now. When a mod derails a thread, it's game on!

Just so there's tech here and a super mod doesn't clean it up...I think a backbone truss would be a great idea. A section of 2x6 x .120 would work, trimmed to fit around the rear "pumpkin" area. Wouldn't be hard to all to contour.

I have now wheeled the YJ twice since upgrading to the Nodular Yukon 3rd and 35 spline shafts. It is all holding up well.

I am seriously debating selling this rig along with my XJ after finishing out all the trips I have planned this year. I have spent roughly $3k on upgrades since buying it (repairs not included). Selling it seems crazy after just last weekend having such an awesome trouble free weekend of wheeling hard core trails at Harlan, but I am thinking of stepping back and taking a break.

I have now wheeled the YJ twice since upgrading to the Nodular Yukon 3rd and 35 spline shafts. It is all holding up well.

I am seriously debating selling this rig along with my XJ after finishing out all the trips I have planned this year. I have spent roughly $3k on upgrades since buying it (repairs not included). Selling it seems crazy after just last weekend having such an awesome trouble free weekend of wheeling hard core trails at Harlan, but I am thinking of stepping back and taking a break.

We've discussed this over the phone in the past. Nothing wrong with prioritizing more important things in life. I've done it myself before.
You can ride shotgun in my pile anytime bud

My only reason for taking a break is to stack money for my dream rig. This rig is fun and pretty reliable, It’s been the best and most capable rig I’ve had. But I am looking to get into something that is my dream rig. I will save up for a budget that will put me in a turn key rig I can confidently head out west in, and plan a trio where I take a week off and hit 3 parks at once.

Ideally that rig has the following
LS
Tons
Full Hydro
40”+
Links with coil overs/ORIs
Atlas
4 seater
Freedom

I know what a rig like that will cost, and I’ll be willing to travel to get it. If that means I ride co-pilot for a year or so to make it happen then so be it. I see them on Facebook and Hardline in the $13-$18k range often.

Like I said, last weekend I had a freakin blast and the Jeep held up great (minus alternator) and is working well for me. I could change my mind. But I want to get into that 1 ton rig that makes freedom noises. We shall see. I have about 3 more trips planned this year and I’m gonna think on it. I’ve helped a ton of people turn wrenches and got a lot of passenger seats available if I need them.

Last edited:
The longer Covid keeps regulars from wheeling, the more nice rigs you'll see come up for sale.
$12k will buy a solid $20k rig come fall/winter

Which also means it's a terrible time to sell. Phillip and I both have talked about me selling mine. I keep wanting to build a buggy because I'm an idiot and this is a dumb hobby.

Going to be pretty hard to move anywhere without a transmission :flipoff2:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm willing to bet Phillip will be in a buggy before we see you XJ on the trails again :flipoff2:

He better! He has 3 jeeps he can liquidate for his “buggy.”

I’m just flat out broke :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ain’t letting the TJ go. And now the wife has came at me with some logic as to why we shouldn’t sell the Jeep. It made a lot of sense. Basically why sell the YJ for a $6500 jump start on the budget, I should just save up first, then when I have $8k-$9k sell it. That way there’s no gap in having the Jeep. She also refuses to sell the XJ.

It all makes sense and reminds me why I married her. She’s totally on board for an aggressive savings plan to get us the budget outside of our normal savings.

Last edited:
I ain’t letting the TJ go. And now the wife has came at me with some logic as to why we shouldn’t sell the Jeep. It made a lot of sense. Basically why sell the YJ for a $6500 jump start on the budget, I should just save up first, then when I have $8k-$9k sell it. That way there’s no gap in having the Jeep. She also refuses to sell the XJ.

It all makes since and reminds me why I married her. She’s totally on board for an aggressive savings plan to get us the budget outside of our normal savings.

Just my $.02, but I had to stop wheeling one before I could actually save for my buggy build. Every time I took mine out, it was another $500-1000 gone. Made it pretty hard to buy buggy parts. It sucks being sidelined, but I knew it was the only way for me to get what I want.

Back