Documentary YJ Build

Fix what you got and start looking for a different rig after it sells. I feel like what you have works good as is but a more powerful motor and the rest of the drivetrain will break a lot. Your gas pedal seems like you need a V8 and tons anyways :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s usually my problem, that and talent.

I'm pretty sure I run out of talent as soon as I get out of the tow rig.

@Mac5005 ypu got some links or info for the parts needed to make the AX15 work so cheap? All I seen was Novak and AA kits which were $$$.

@NickMaul you are exactly right about a different rig, that’s my plan. Save $5-7k and sell mine and add it to money and buy something done that someone else is tired of.This motor swap will most likely not happen. But for technical discussion and anyone else that may search and find this section of this thread it may be helpful.

I’m not concerned at all with the strength of the AX15, I just didn’t know it could be done so cheap.

Not at the moment. Had a folder at one point with it all organized. Not sure if I can still find it.

It started from a car craft article about putting a ls3 into a Saturn sky and using the ax15 with some Colorado parts and using a ctsv rear diff.

Went down the rabbit hole from there. Someone sells the steel bellhousing adapter plate for $350 bc I bought one.

Then it was a certain combination of pressure plate, jeep clutch disc and not sure about which # pilot bearing.

That was a couple years ago, since then I decided to keep my stroker so I didn’t place a high value on the info to keep.

Ax15, r150, ar5, ma5 are pretty much all the same. Also
Very similar to r154 & r151

Last edited:
I say go ahead and swap in a 4.1 V8 from an 80s Cadillac, I hear they are wonderful motors :D

It’s been a while. I needed a new carrier after Harlan. I bought several used carriers that didn’t work and finally found the right one. Had to replace some bearings and the adjuster nut. Let’s just say there are several different 9” carriers and it’s all terribly confusing! Apparently I have the 3.062 carrier.
Digging back thru this thread which lead me to a link to the original Pirate thread, and I was able to determine that my 3rd member came from FastShafts. What an excellent company! Not only did they have the right size adjuster nut, it was 1/3 of the price anywhere else. I told them I had the 3.062 carrier and they said there are 2 different ones, so I sent them pictures and they sent the right nut for $20 plus they sent 4 stickers and 2 koozies!!

@Chris_Keziah set the gears back up and I installed it all last night.

Everything is back together and working however now my electric fan isn’t working. I was too tired to mess with it too much, I’ll try to figure it out today. If the fan needs to be replaced I sure hope @Van-go knows which fan it is cause there isn’t any room for anything else!

Check switch and relay. I can dig up the old order for the fan if need be.

Check switch and relay. I can dig up the old order for the fan if need be.

I replaced that switch not too long ago cause I accidentally broke it. I will start with the relay this afternoon and go from there.

Got home just now and jumped a hot wire to the fan. It still works but it sounds pretty bad. Sounds like like bad bearings so I should probably replace it. Pretty sure the relay is what’s bad, gonna check after dinner.

David can you see if you can find that link for the fan?

Got home just now and jumped a hot wire to the fan. It still works but it sounds pretty bad. Sounds like like bad bearings so I should probably replace it. Pretty sure the relay is what’s bad, gonna check after dinner.

David can you see if you can find that link for the fan?
Can’t find the original order but I think it’s the 16in low boy fan

you fix your shafts yet?

you fix your shafts yet?

No, I haven’t touched it. It’s still god AOP mid on it. But now the XJ and the YJ are broke so I gotta fix the YJ now. I plan to pull the 3rd this weekend and make sure it’s good and order a set of Chromos if all is good.

I also need to find some affordable heat shield insulation I can put on the floor, and then put rubber over. The passenger side gets so hot it makes my wife miserable and her feet swell. So I’ve gotta cut down on the heat

I also need to find some affordable heat shield insulation I can put on the floor, and then put rubber over. The passenger side gets so hot it makes my wife miserable and her feet swell. So I’ve gotta cut down on the heat
is it from the trans or exhaust? trying to put a heat shield under the floor might help also.

Id say both most likely. I’d like to do something to insulate both sides
Are y'all riding barefoot or something? or do you just stay on limiter that much more than me? :smokin:

Are y'all riding barefoot or something? or do you just stay on limiter that much more than me? :smokin:

My wife has high blood pressure and her feet swell on any given day, but heat makes it worse. Last time she rode in the YJ her feet were more swollen than I’d ever seen.

But yes, it lives on the rev limiter.

Could have been even higher BP due to your driving.

But did she die?

It was at Potts so there was no beating on it lol. Just got as crap and moving too slow to get any air flowing. Probably be the same way next month at Kairos. However most of Kairos is down around those creeks and seems to be much cooler

Could do some redneck AC in it. Just need a fan, styrofoam cooler and dry ice.

or you know like he could get floor mats and throw some carpeting down, but dry ice seems cooler (see what I dod there) :lol:

Back