Documentary YJ Build

Had a similar problem once...
After rebuilding the calipers, could not get a good pedal no matter how much the system was bled.
Took it to a friends shop. They were amazed there was any braking on the car.
The front calipers were on the wrong side and the bleeders were on the bottom (oops)
Oh well, had to learn sometime...

That XJ has good brakes last time you took it out right? :D #XJbeatdown

1a8e472a418bc0c2d4553252f1cc22ee.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been several days since I touched this thing due to be parking addition project. Today my buddy Curtis came over and we bled the brakes again since I removed the O ring from the proportioning valve. That did the trick, I should have listened to Jody the first time around. I did adjust the rod at the booster a tad, but after pulling to O-Ring out I have a good firm pedal and I can lock the tires up on the asphalt now!

Been several days since I touched this thing due to be parking addition project. Today my buddy Curtis came over and we bled the brakes again since I removed the O ring from the proportioning valve. That did the trick, I should have listened to Jody the first time around. I did adjust the rod at the booster a tad, but after pulling to O-Ring out I have a good firm pedal and I can lock the tires up on the asphalt now!
Ooo let my try.

Being a new to this Jeep thing, could you provide more details regarding the O-Ring removal of the proportioning valve (PV).
Is this the type of PV you have?

PV.jpg

Was the old PV for a disc/drum setup and now you have disc/disc on your jeep?
Thx.

588020AD-B709-47F1-9F18-359F62A110F9.jpeg
EB11DD04-8079-4F8C-AB4D-510579BC77C6.jpeg
Yes the PV was intended for disc/drum. From your pic, removed the metering valve seen on the left. Careful, that spring has it under pressure. Once that’s out, you may need needle nose pliers to carefully remove the rod/plunger. There is only 1 O-Ring on it. Reverse the whole operation.

Last edited:
Little update, drug this thing down to Choccolocco in Alabama. Did quite a number on it. I split the front half of the transfer case all the way around, best I can tell before I remove it.
It has an NP231D in it, does anyone know for sure if the case is the same as a 231J? That’s gonna be much easier to find from a Jeep than a dodge. I’ll be looking for one if anyone has one. It can be junk, I just need the case and I’ll put my guts in it.
Pretty sure I done this when the Jeep bunny hopped 4 times, it bounced and I let off the gas and slammed back down and nailed the gas by accident, and repeated this cycle a few times. It was so violent and so fast I couldn’t control it!

I also broke a valve core on the H1 wheel. Twice this has happened, and I’m sick of it. It won’t go back out without rock rings welded on.

I also had to change the fuel pump at Chocco. This turned out to be an on going issue where it would vapor lock and run bad. I replaced the fuel pump and all new lined routed away from the motor and didn’t have another issue at all.

Also, I have a cap pushing out of the driver side Yukon Super Joint. Really hoping it just needs a rebuild and the cross is still good!

Also, got some pretty good damage to the rear tub on the passenger side. Amazing how easy it is to hit that even with big wide tires.
9CB0F445-558E-41BB-8C26-4F251EBF67B2.jpeg
3CAD38AC-F20D-4C17-9066-9AAE6CAD8C79.jpeg
7011FF7F-DFA0-410D-A65C-D46D3794A541.jpeg

Also noticed the nut came off the hiem at the high steer arm for the drag link. A quick trail fix for me back to camp where a buddy brought me a new nut. All of this will get Locktight before the next trip!

In a few weeks the Jeep will go visit K-Squared Off Road for some much need love and rehab.
DDFE688C-F670-4C93-8CB8-4C1304675F49.jpeg

316EB64A-C25B-442E-8924-8AF36E770539.jpeg

I also broke the center pin on the leaf springs which allowed the axle to shift back and forth. Luckily one of us had a spare center pin.
746FE086-B536-4122-BE21-853F63F712AE.jpeg

Also noticed the nut came off the hiem at the high steer arm for the drag link. A quick trail fix for me back to camp where a buddy brought me a new nut. All of this will get Locktight before the next trip!

In a few weeks the Jeep will go visit K-Squared Off Road for some much need love and rehab.
View attachment 291162
View attachment 291163

I also broke the center pin on the leaf springs which allowed the axle to shift back and forth. Luckily one of us had a spare center pin.
View attachment 291164
You are ruff on shit.

231D will come out of a Dodge 1500 pickup. I think the chain is larger than the 231J but not sure if it would matter for a case swap.
I would look for one out of a Dodge because they also have six planetary gears and it’s a pain in the butt to swap the outer planetary gears around.

I thought it was the bunny hopping, but realized something else today. Thursday I was really getting it down the main trail in 4th gear wide open. There was a bump in the trail that I didn’t see and I jumped it, and that compressed the front shaft all they way and that’s what done it.
Looking at the slip yoke on the shaft I can see where it compressed all the way, and it makes total sense looking at how the case is cracked.

@adamk it was the passenger side center pin so that wasn’t the issue.

I would look for one out of a Dodge because they also have six planetary gears and it’s a pain in the butt to swap the outer planetary gears around.

Only 241s have the 6 gear planetary. That has been confirmed. Dodge 231s have a wide chain I believe.

I did have a nicely built 300 with 4:1s for sale not too long ago..... :D

Only 241s have the 6 gear planetary. That has been confirmed. Dodge 231s have a wide chain I believe.

From what I have read, only some of the 231D has the 6 gears, and all of the 231C has the 6 gears. I’m not sure what I’ll do but it won’t be a Dana 300. I’ll go back with another 231, I just need to determine if the front of the case is the same as a Jeep 231. When I fix it, I’ll be shortening the front drive shaft a tad so this don’t happen again.

This all sucks cause I was fixing to order a set of seats but now that cost will go towards this stuff instead. I can’t explain how awful the seats are for wheeling in this rig. Sorry David, no offense :D

From what I have read, only some of the 231D has the 6 gears, and all of the 231C has the 6 gears. I’m not sure what I’ll do but it won’t be a Dana 300. I’ll go back with another 231, I just need to determine if the front of the case is the same as a Jeep 231. When I fix it, I’ll be shortening the front drive shaft a tad so this don’t happen again.

This all sucks cause I was fixing to order a set of seats but now that cost will go towards this stuff instead. I can’t explain how awful the seats are for wheeling in this rig. Sorry David, no offense :D

Just snag a hole new case and throw in your SYE. I’ve never really read a planetary failure on forums. Mainly case breaks or output shafts.

For the AX15 you’ll want a 23 spline case with a short input shaft.

Just snag a hole new case and throw in your SYE. I’ve never really read a planetary failure on forums. Mainly case breaks or output shafts.

For the AX15 you’ll want a 23 spline case with a short input shaft.

If I can find a ram 1500 I can get the case of I’ll go that route. But also will go browse around at @Lankford and see what he’s got and how similar it is to mine.

I'm almost positive the cases are all the same. You can swap the 6 pinion planetary unit in place of a 3. Plus a the inputs are swappable too so all you really need is the case.

I thought it was the bunny hopping, but realized something else today. Thursday I was really getting it down the main trail in 4th gear wide open. There was a bump in the trail that I didn’t see and I jumped it, and that compressed the front shaft all they way and that’s what done it.
Looking at the slip yoke on the shaft I can see where it compressed all the way, and it makes total sense looking at how the case is cracked.

@adamk it was the passenger side center pin so that wasn’t the issue.

Because the leaf spring shackles are in the front, when the suspension compresses, the axle actually swings forward so I doubt it was that hard bump that bottomed out the driveshaft.

Anyways, as soon as @Joe J. jeep rolls out of the shop (hopefully in the next 2-3 weeks), bring yours over and we'll get working on it.

Back