Disk brakes on rear of my TJ

D35s came in disc brakes so I am sure it is possible. But I would ask, why worry with a turdy five

Yeah, gotta change the parking brake cables, too.

Because drums suck.

Agree with Clay. Hold out for an 8.8 swap and get a much better axle and disc brakes.

It is a doable brake swap though. You will need to remove the axle shafts and then remove the back plate and everything from there out. Then reassemble with the disc brake hardware from your donor. But at the end of the day it will still be a D35 which is notoriously weak for off road or even on road with larger than stock tires.

I did it on my xj with the 8.25 but it needs more bias in my opinion/case (being near 50/50 weight distribution). Drums don't suck unless it's not been gone through and not working properly. I didn't gain any stopping power with the swap (my drums were in good working order). (And the zj prop valve made it worse, I think the stock xj disc/drum had better bias for mine)

If you can lock the tires, you have maximum brake power required on road.. I guess holding low range in the tcase is another story maybe. But when in low range, all the brakes contribute to all wheels (all things being equal) through the driveline. If tj's aren't double diaphragm booster to that'd be where I'd start. That made a big difference.

If you can lock the tires, you have maximum brake power required on road.

That's not the point. Discs are easier to modulate. They also don't clog up with shit.

That's not the point. Discs are easier to modulate. They also don't clog up with shit.

Hrmm.
Modulate - ok, yeah to somewhat of an extent, particularly when wet.
Drums are easy to keep from clogging up with mud.... Stay out of mud deeper than your rim/wheel. Never much had an issue.. vented rotors will clog too... Enough to throw the wheel out of balance even.

Back