Diesel prices, $4/gal yet anywhere in NC? Now $5

Maybe I'll take up frisbee golf.

I got it for 3.99 close to Jrodan Lake on hwy 64. Everywhere else is 4.06 or more.

$4.15 for B5 biodiesel in Hickory this morning.

Dang, someone is making a killing since it generally cost less than $1.00 per gallon to make.

My gripe is that a few years ago it was less than $1.00 per gallon. That included about 40 cents in tax, so the cost of refining it, markup, and delivery was less than 60 cents per gallon. Now crude oil costs about $2.00 per gallon, add the 60 cents for refining, etc and 40 cents in tax and it should be $3.00 per gallon, but no it doesn't work that way. They all go by a percentage markup. The higher the cost goes the more money one percent means and the better for all the refineries and middle men. The government should step in a regulate markup like they do for utilities.

Dang, someone is making a killing since it generally cost less than $1.00 per gallon to make.
My gripe is that a few years ago it was less than $1.00 per gallon. That included about 40 cents in tax, so the cost of refining it, markup, and delivery was less than 60 cents per gallon. Now crude oil costs about $2.00 per gallon, add the 60 cents for refining, etc and 40 cents in tax and it should be $3.00 per gallon, but no it doesn't work that way. They all go by a percentage markup. The higher the cost goes the more money one percent means and the better for all the refineries and middle men. The government should step in a regulate markup like they do for utilities.
I've had similar thoughts. Like most Americans I'm cautious about doing anything outside of pure capitalism, government control makes me nervous.

Having said that, there are some areas where pure capitalism doesn't work. If you get syphilis over time it will attack your brain and kill you. The cure is a $.50 dose of penicillin but if you're about to die you'll sell your house for it. You'll go into debt for it. You'll do anything to avoid death. This is an area where government control is required.

If the government didn't regulate the cost of electricity it would be just as insane. The nature of electricity is such that you're not going to get mom and pop shops springing up and competing to keep the costs low. Instead you'll have one or two providers controlling costs and financially killing you while their profits skyrocket. That's what's happening with gas/diesel right now.

Is it time for government control? I'm not sure. I'd start by threatening them with it first and see if they'll lower costs. Maybe I'd break up exxon/mobile like they did AT&T? They need to do something to either restore competition or regulate the industry. You can't just raise the cost of transportation and shift all the nation's money to XOM.

My $0.02 isn't worth what it used to be because energy has caused inflation for every good and service. :D

I think that some regulation is in order.....maybe regulate my foot in XOM's ass

I've had similar thoughts. Like most Americans I'm cautious about doing anything outside of pure capitalism, government control makes me nervous.
Having said that, there are some areas where pure capitalism doesn't work. If you get syphilis over time it will attack your brain and kill you. The cure is a $.50 dose of penicillin but if you're about to die you'll sell your house for it. You'll go into debt for it. You'll do anything to avoid death. This is an area where government control is required.
If the government didn't regulate the cost of electricity it would be just as insane. The nature of electricity is such that you're not going to get mom and pop shops springing up and competing to keep the costs low. Instead you'll have one or two providers controlling costs and financially killing you while their profits skyrocket. That's what's happening with gas/diesel right now.
Is it time for government control? I'm not sure. I'd start by threatening them with it first and see if they'll lower costs. Maybe I'd break up exxon/mobile like they did AT&T? They need to do something to either restore competition or regulate the industry. You can't just raise the cost of transportation and shift all the nation's money to XOM.
My $0.02 isn't worth what it used to be because energy has caused inflation for every good and service. :D

How come we cant get a few people in Congress who think rationally...You think those a**holes would understand that if they regulate oil, consumers will have more money to spend on others things, which in turn will stimulate new business growth and the rest of the economy.

By the way got diesel this morning at Sams Club for $3.99. Thats the cheapest it is in Wilmington.

i agree with you folks. seems to me that the gov't could at least put a cap on the % the oil companies can raise their prices. only allow them to increase price up to 20% or something. i mean, a barrel of oil just hit $117, a new record. Exxon has produced record profit numbers the past 2 or 3 quarters. What damage could dropping the price of gas a dollar or two honestly do?
I think if nobody does something about this, then the country is definitely headed for a recession. Salaries aren't improving with the cost of living.
I read an article in the Business Journal a couple of weeks ago about a guy who owns a freight shipping company in the Triad. Says he is spending as much as $7500 EXTRA a week in diesel fuel, but due to a weak economy is scared to raise prices for fear of losing customers. http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/stories/2008/04/07/story3.html

It's freaking ridiculous IMO, but I can't afford a damn hybrid.:poop:

How come we cant get a few people in Congress who think rationally...You think those a**holes would understand that if they regulate oil, consumers will have more money to spend on others things, which in turn will stimulate new business growth and the rest of the economy...

Because this nation is run by corrupt politicians. I'd bet that the majority of the :gay: in congress have their grubby little paws in the oil company's pocket. OPEC says jump, they ask how high in mid air.

$4.19/gal at the store 2 miles from my house.

I heard american consuption is down 2% from same time last year. I think more people are using cheaper cars. I even saw a "Smart" car at Walmart recently.

For everyone talking about regulating prices, back in the 70's the gov't actually froze prices and wages at least once for 90 days. I think once the regulations where taken off the prices skyrocketed again though....maybe someone on here knows better if that worked very well or not.

4.35 in lincolnton.

$4.37 Exxon Poole Rd and New Hope, Raleigh. 8:30am today

Went south today. $4.09 in Florence,SC.

well

Here in durham, nc the price posted as of 6am was $4.49 a gallon. Word has it that 87 octane will be $4.22 average and diesel is said to be $5.15 a gallon on US average by July 1st 2008. A friend in the oil business warned me this past weekend. :(

Back