Diesel engine starting question

BRUISER

silent.. but deadly
Ok so question... since I am a Diesel Newb...

Yes I am looking for a good diesel that I can convert to WVO.. but my question is... with a diesel can you install an automatic started so you can start truck from inside house in the morning so by the time you get out there it is warm enough to switch to grease??

I know some have to let the glow plugs start before you crank it... so I guess if the remote starter had a delay on it then it should work correct???

also I have heard that with some remote starters if your car or truck is running you can reset remote start while vehicle is running and then take your key out of ignition lock vehicle and go inside store so you do nto have to worry about turn truck/car off and also if someone breaks into vehicle as soon as the push break pedal it will turn off without key in ignition..

so wouldn't this help also with quick stops to run into stores etc.. since that way you do nto have to switch between diesel and grease at each stop...

mainly just thinking out loud...

Hey Ken!

For starting, I know the Cummins I got will start right up - no need to wait for glow plugs. Once it gets cold, that may be a different story - I'm sure Rich can fill you in.

My 6.2 takes significant glow plug time. I can crank it before the light goes off in summer, no prob. But even as cold as it is in the morning right now, I need to wait for the glow plugs to finish.

It would be cool if the remote start has a way to select "ignition on" (which would activate glow plugs) and "start" (which would actually fire the starter), but I'm not sure if any have that.

I know it's possible. DC used to have remote start on an f350 he had.

Richard, Dodge doesn't have glow plugs. They use a grid heater which heats up the incoming air. When it gets colder you'll have to wait longer for them to heat up. Of course the way to get around all of this is to use a block heater, which is better for the engine anyway, and the heat blows warm alot sooner too. ;)

Kevin

Just look and see if the starters are shown as being "diesel compatible".. they'll have a wire to tap into the "wait to start" light.

Carman, Cummins uses grid heaters, basically a big hair drier element, glow plugs are for R/C cars.. :flipoff2:

Ken - you don't have to purge the system if you're just popping in somewhere - the generally accepted rule of thumb is if it'll sit for more than 1-2 hours, then purge it. But yeah, some of the starters will do that "turbo timer" feature.

The best truck to convert (and no, not because I have one) is a '94-'98.4 Cummins. Followed by the IDI Ford...

Powerstrokes are being done, but they are more extensive, since the system gets converted from a dead-head injection system to a looped injection system.

But it's kinda moot.. If I was to start my CTD and let it sit there, it'll never build up heat. The EGT's will stay around 200*, and that cool is not good for the engine (fuel washes the oil down, etc.) Mine also hazes when cold because of the adding fueling and timing, so I try to start moving it shortly after the oil pressure comes up and stabilizes, and just drive it lightly until it's up to temp. (Hard to do since the speed limit is 55 just outside the neighborhood, but I just stay light on the loud pedal)

Plug in the block heater, and you'll have heat in a few miles. I plug mine in if it's gonna be below 40*. It's on a timer for 2 1/2 hours before I leave. There's well over 1000lbs of steel to heat in a CTD, so it takes a while.

The kit I'm looking to buy offers a 120VAC tank heater that can be wired into the block heater circuit, but the Frybrid's coolant heat exchanger systems (all 3 of them) are plenty for our climate IMO.

Ken, are you getting lazy!?! Just kidding!

I used to have a diesel truck, and it had a block heater. I would run an extension cord with a timer to the heater. I had the timer set to turn the heater on an hour before I got up in the winter. The truck would start like it was summer, and the heater did blow warm air much quicker this way as Kevin stated. This may work with your remote start to allow it to start right away.

Craig

Ok so plugging in a truck in my driveway is not a problem at all since I have an external plug right next to where I park my truck now.. so that would work.. and if I did plug it in then doing the remote start should work fine...

Cool..

I am starting to like this whole diesel/WVO idea more and more :)

Ken, they make remote starts for diesels, on a timer so your glow plugs have time to warm up. Check out dieselstop.com, lots of info.

Rob said:
Ken, they make remote starts for diesels, on a timer so your glow plugs have time to warm up. Check out dieselstop.com, lots of info.

Did you read the replies before typing? :flipoff2: We said that already!

Oh, I got the timer I use for ~$11 from Ace hardware, it's meant to be mounted outside, 15A rated if I remember right. It's not digital, but it works close enough. ;) Mounted right on the garage door trim, next to the outlet.

DON'T FORGET TO UNPLUG IT BEFORE YOU DRIVE AWAY!! (Seriously, happens all the time... I'm currently using a short cord, but if/when I get a longer one, I'll drape it over the mirror so it's hard to miss)

Sorry - in my reply I didn't mean to associate glow plugs with a Cummins - I knew they have a grid heater. I just meant that with the Cummins truck I just bought I have not had to wait at all before cranking it - as soon as I hit the key it starts. :flipoff2:

I agree about the block heaters. I used the one on my 6.2 a lot last winter, and loved it. Quick start and quicker to get the heater working inside the cab.

thecarman said:
I just meant that with the Cummins truck I just bought I have not had to wait at all before cranking it - as soon as I hit the key it starts. .

Don't remember what year CTD you got. But, on my 96 down on the right side of the dash, below the HVAC controls is a "wait to start" light...might should look for it.

Above 50°, the "wait to start" light just lights up to let you know the bulb is not burned out. You know it when the grid heaters kick on.. lots of amps drawn..

Just FYI.. Since the Ford/Chevy guys have their glow plugs come on at any temp IIRC.

I know it has already been said but, YES you can install the remote starter on the diesel trucks. I have one on my f250 7.3 powerstroke. It does like rich said and looks for the "wait to start" signal, it also sees the tach signal to let it know when it is started. Get a good kit you will be much happier in the end.
mine also has the turbo timer built into it. it has a feature that will start and run the truck for a predesignated amount of time in the colder climates (start every four hrs and run for 15 mins). I also intend to use mine with my grease conversion, it will be set up to start on diesel only though.

Whie remote start works, it wont warm the truck up, like already stated, unless you do some mods. You can get a chip that will raise your idle to 1300 rpms. it will be loud, but it will warm up the engine well. I have an AIC on mine and i can set the idle to ~900 rpms, and throw on the exhaust brake, and it will warm itself up right nicely.

You can convert a powerjoke to WVO without messing with the fuel system. You do need a warmed tank and a switch, though. PSD's do great on WVO, watch out for dogs licking your tailpipe. Of course, you could brew bio and not have to worry about anything.

A block heater will help, but its only really needed when it gets down around 20ish, my PSD starts just fine (cycling the glow plugs twice) down to 0 or so degrees, gets finekey after that. With the mild climate down here, block heaters are not nessiary. I park my truck at work for 24 hours at a time and i am not worried one bit about a block heater. It will be a bit loud, but who cares? contrary to popular belief, it doesnt do any real damage to the engine.

Like has been said before, if you dont have an exhaust brake and an idle control, the absolutely best way to warm up a diesel is to drive the stupid thing. Just be a bit easier on it untill the needle moves off of its stop, then go to town. It really doesnt take too much longer than a gasser to warm up, but it is a bit longer. Wear warm clothes :)

I have managed an ambulance fleet, with well over 1.5 million miles between them. We usually retire a PSD with 250-300,000 miles on them, and that is usually because the doors dont close right and they need thier third transmission, not because the engine has problems. And ambulance service is probably the single toughest application for a diesel. Dead cold - WOT - idle on scene for 30 mins - WOT - turn it off at the hospital.

Thier performance is why I now own one.

For the 7.3s, the glow plugs will stay on up to 120 seconds, even after the Wait to Start light goes out (watch your volt guage). So you don't actually have to cycle the key a couple of times to get more glow plug warmth.

Also for hard starting, check the fuel bowl heater, I have mine disconnected still and truck is starting fine. Will hook it back up when it starts to get into the 30s.

On another note, the plug on my block heater needs replacing. It has a tear in the rubber and shorted out on the bumper last time I used it. Shocked the crap out of me too. Instead of just wiring a new plug end on there, I would like to put on a permanent male end with a flipper door, like the big rigs use. Anyone done this?

thanks,
Shannon

Shannon said:
Instead of just wiring a new plug end on there, I would like to put on a permanent male end with a flipper door, like the big rigs use. Anyone done this?

thanks,
Shannon

Rob did, pretty slick install.

I used a Marinco plug, available at most boat shops. It's main use is to install on a boat so you can charge the battery while docked.

If I had to do it all over again, I would extend the block heater cord, and install it on the drivers side, better chance of seeing it in the morning before leaving.

Attachments

• plug.jpg
    plug.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 399
  • plug3.jpg
    plug3.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 392
  • plug2.jpg
    plug2.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 340
I have a remote start/turbo timer system on my truck. I had it installed at Circuit City in Cary. It is a Code Alarm system. It compensates for the glow plug timer and it also allows for the key to be removed from the ignition before the timer waits 10 minutes for shut down. This is great in the summer for running in the store while leaving the truck running. It is also nice to allow the EGTs to drop before shutdown. I believe I paid $250 last year for the kit installed. I love it when it is cold. I also use a timer for the block heater. It saves on the electric bill and allows me to start my truck easily in sub freezing tempatures.

Rob said:
I used a Marinco plug, available at most boat shops. It's main use is to install on a boat so you can charge the battery while docked.

If I had to do it all over again, I would extend the block heater cord, and install it on the drivers side, better chance of seeing it in the morning before leaving.

Thanks for the pics. That's exactly what I want to do.

Shannon

Got the Marinco plug in the mail yesterday. Checked a few marine supply places locally and online. Most ran $22-29.95. Got it from bassproshops.com for 9.95 with free shipping. Now where to drill that 1 7/8 inch hole?

Shannon

Back