Detroit Ford 8.8

ricesyj

I have a 95 YJ with a Ford 8.8 in the rear running 4.56 gear. I am pretty sure what to expect on the trail. How will this locker do when riding on the road. Will it chirp the tires when turn or will I not really know its there. I had planned on doing ARB's front and rear but I now want to do a T-locker in the front and they do not make one for the 8.8. Should I stick with the ARB's pr will this other setup be a good way to go. Thanks Troy

The Detroit will bark the tires once in a while. Mine does it any time I make a hard turn under throttle... just can't unlock, so you drag one tire a bit. Nothing wrong with it. If I had a couple hundred bucks to spare, I'd sell the rear detroit and get an ARB just to get rid of the over/under steer.... but there's really no reason to mess with it.

They will chirp a little and you WILL see some extra tire ware in the rear if you do alot of street driving. If I had the money to do it all again, I would spring for the ARB. :driver:

I stuck with detroit and will put them in my next rig. I've seen too many people shift the arb with too much wheel speed and cook there locker till they get back to camp and pull it apart. I love the put it in and drive and never worry bout it again. I have not seen many people grenade a detroit.

I know you are tired of hearing this but it does matter if your Jeep is a daily driver. Be ready for some pops, bangs, jerky movements, and tire wear from the Detroit. The automatic locker is not for the squeemish person in their daily driver. If your Jeep is your "baby" then don't bother. If you commute to work more than 10 miles in this Jeep don't do it.

Its all a matter of preference my jeep up until a week or so ago was my DD and it got lots of use. I would also drive it the 5 or so hours to tellico and back with my detroit. Never bothered me. Now if you get into the gas from a stop while turning your inside tire is going to chirp, but drive normal and I had no probs.

DETROIT ALL THE WAY.

best part about it is you can blame every rattle, pop, clicking, crushed pedestrian screaming, annoying sound on the locker.

^ lol. i did the detroit. the chirps, etc. you get used to em. it's not that bad and on the trail it makes a whole world of difference. they're a lot smoother than the "lunchbox" style locker and i would spend the money all over again for a detroit. also, no worrying about popped air lines, solenoids, etc. SIMPLE :flipoff2:

I have the detroit and you will get used to it after a week or so. You will learn what sounds to worry about and what sounds not to worry about.

Detroit.....all the reasons are above. Save the dollars, put a detroit in the back and you never have to worry about it not working because a bad o-ring....

Seth

I got tired of the popping and the rear end jerk from my detroit. I installed the eaton e-locker and have been very happy with the on-road and off-road characteristics. Selectable is the way to go for a daily driver.

Scott

I have a Detroit in my 8.8. I was also skeptical about it at first. But after a couple of talks with Andy at CRS and a few test rides in vehicles that had them I was sold on the idea. I have not wished for anything else since putting the Detroit in. Just learn the behavior of the locker and you'll be fine. If you want to take my TJ for a spin, come by, I'll be glad to let you take it for a test drive. It's the best way to figure out if you think it's for you.

Hope this is helpful.

Back