Deep water trail camp at uwharrie

vaughn

Had the family down at uwharrie, all trails looked great, minimal garbage. but the deep water trail camp looks like the city dump. didnt have enough room to haul it all out. broken glass, beer can, plastic, tarps, carpet, very messy. clean up some. didnt have enough trash bags. alot of people there camping, but not ;the the 4wd crowd.

Yes. Deep Water is a place for the people without anywhere else to live to go camping / living for a while. Least it was just a few years back.

Place has always been a mess .You guys need to be careful about parking vehicles at deep water trail . It normally attracts a very rough crowd of folks and they don't mind stealing shit . I used to enjoy kayaking there until my truck window was busted out with a rock and my belongings stolen !

Place has always been a mess .You guys need to be careful about parking vehicles at deep water trail . It normally attracts a very rough crowd of folks and they don't mind stealing shit . I used to enjoy kayaking there until my truck window was busted out with a rock and my belongings stolen !

I'm suddenly feeling less inclined to pay that area a visit! LOL!!

Shaggy

story time grandpa...
on my very first trip to wheel in unf (10 years ago),I went looking for a place to camp.I was pointed to the area at the lake just below deep water camp.Oh boy!Talk about feelin like the lone ranger. I crested the hill and pulled down close to the lake.First thing I saw was a large tent to my left, with a equaly large first national redneck flag a flyin proudly in the breeze.To my front, was a 10 year old boy standing waste deep in the water with a red rider bb gun shooting beer cans floating in the water around him.To my right flank,there was a tent in the woods.A man and a woman were standing in the bushes.Clothed?Hell if I know! Seemed like the limbs on the bushes were hiding all the "nasty bits".Allmost like looking at paintings of Adam and Eve before the apple business. I talked to them for 5 minutes trying to figure it out but the leaves wouldn't atleast let me find out what she had going on .Anyhow,I went back up to the deep water camp and built my house there. I was ok with only one other set of campers across the site from me a good long ways.Around 1am something broke loose over there,dude ran out his tent with a axe hollering and swinging at a tree trunk as hard and fast as he could just a hollerin. No more sleepin for me after that.I moved over away from my tent about 20 steps and bed down at the edge of the woods.The plan was to just doze and if they come up to raid my tent or vehicle,I'd get a little time to come in from behind, swinging my axe at somebody's tater. I was out of there shortly after daybreak.
Now mind you,I'm a grown man.I ain't scared to sleep out in the open,no tent,by myself.I have slept on countless WBTS battlefields where hundreds or thousands had died.I've even slept in the Dunkard Church on the Sharpesburg battlefield and there is a famous photogragh of the site with a pure battle line of dead union troops close to it.No problem, Ain't scared. I was worried a good bit there at the deep water camp.I won't sleep there unless with a group and posted sentries.

Where is deep water trail camp at?

Turn onto the gravel road at Hunt camp and drive. Drive till you get to thinking you missed it. Then drive some more.Just before the end of the gravel road,there will be a right hand turn.I believe there is a sign there pointing to the deep water camp. It's a loooooooong ways down to it from 109.

Road 576 in unf ,go almost to the very end of the road and hook a right it will take you to narrows reservoir (what us locals call the hidden lake or the middle lake ) its the reservoir between badin lake and lake tillery. Look on a trail map just above the legend you can't miss it .

I don't think that will happen for the simple fact that it is the only boating access to that body of water on the Montgomery county side and its very heavily used by kayakers and fisherman . Not putting down the access at all and don't want to see it closed! Its a beautiful lake with caves that you can paddle in and waterfalls and the fishing is great ! We just need to be cautious when leaving a vehicle unattended at the parking area .

We rode down to check it out Saturday. I had the wife with me and we both got a bad feeling about the place. Needless to say, we didn't hang around.

Also, there is no sign anymore. It's gone, which is not cool.

.... man sounds like an awesome place to kayak. Sucks some inbreds gotta ruin it for the rest of us

.... man sounds like an awesome place to kayak. Sucks some inbreds gotta ruin it for the rest of us

It is a great place to Kayak, during the week when they are operating the Hydro plant the current gets really swift near the dam.
On the weekends it is pretty calm... normally. Lots of interesting things to see there.

There is another access point at a boat ramp behind the town of Badin, I normally use it since it is so much closer for me traveling from Salisbury.
Just follow Falls Road from Badin to the lake, you'll end up just South of Deep Water on the other side of the lake.
I've seen the Sheriff keeping an eye on the boat ramp...its secluded but it is patrolled.

Glad I found this thread. I camped at URE this past weekend off Dutch John. Nice secluded spot for me and my dog. Quiet, no issues at all. Had looked at the map for other areas and was really interested in the Deep Water Trail Camp and even thought about driving down there just for shits and giggles, but never made it.

After reading this, I am glad I didn't and can marked that area off my "check it out" list.

It was a good thing you camped where you did.

Could you hear the banjo's in the distance that night ?

dang makes me want to get my old red rider out and head back down there to kill some more floating beer cans..................lol dadgum inbreeders
I am going to make it a point to go check this madness out!!

Stopped for a visit last Thursday. As described in previous posts. What a shame.

Back