December 18th Work Day - Equipment Organization

DRaider90

Uwharrie Off-Road Volunteering
I am making a different thread for this. We are going to need a piece of equipment with an Auger attachment. I understand there are people on here that own FEL's etc. If anyone wishes to bring their equipment out that is great, the key thing is for it to have an auger.

But we can't put all our eggs in one basket so I am going to get the ball rolling on an equipment rental. Biggest hurdles to cross are transporting the equipment, and the actual rental/cost. And whom ever ends up doing the actual rental and transport gets the bonus of having the equipment on Sunday after the work day if they want to do yard work etc. Unless we know of an equipment place that is open on Sunday to return it to.

I talked with Terry Savery after the work day when I saw her at Arrowhead about the Bobcat. She agreed we need to bring at least one piece of equipment out. So we need to get this hammered out.

1st Hurdle: Rental cost. If I remember correctly the rental cost was $340 or so last time around. Thanks to a group on here we have $255 of that covered. So we need a little less than $100 to cover the rest.

2nd Hurdle: Transportation. I don't have a tow rig/trailer to haul a skidsteer loader with. We will need someone to pick up the skidsteer loader/auger on Friday and return in Monday.

Would it be possible to arrange for Sat pickup/Sunday drop off?

Also find out the specs on the unit. (Model type/# be fine).

Might allow folks further away to help.

I rented the last one from RS Braswell in Kannapolis. They let me pick it up on Friday morning and return it on Monday morning for a single day rental. It must be returned with the same amount of fuel. (Usually that means a full tank.)

The one we rented was a Bobcat T90, I believe. It had the tracks, but in my opinion that was overkill and actually made traversing the trail a little difficult. One with regular tires would be just fine.

I may be able to help with pickup and hauling, but I know I can't help with the money. I should know within the week if I can assist with transport.

Ill help out with it...if we nail down a day.

JC, Mike or ELi call me 803-6two7-9zero29.....

So Chris and Ron are the 2 volunteers for transporting.

I agree with the wheeled loader probably being a better option. Because driving with the tracks over rocks etc wasn't great. BUT since most of the trails have been worked on, it may not matter tracks or no tracks.

As far as day goes it will have to be picked up on the 17th. Unless someone is able to rent it from somewhere on the 18th in the morning, and make it to the Hunt Camp at URE by 9AM. To be honest I think that is a lot to ask of one person.

Also I was given the $255 donation today to help cover the rental. So whom ever will be renting the loader will recieve that amount, plus what ever donations we get at the work day.

The only other thing to hammer out besides it being Chris or Ron is who will be operating it. Unless we have any objections I would volunteer to run the loader again. Its not the most glamorous job at the work day, but I enjoy doing it. And after getting a rythm going back in March (and my prior construction experience) things should go smoothly again.

So if Chris can't do it, I will be calling your Ron. So hopefully by sometime this up coming week we will have everything nailed down. :beer::driver:

@Chris:

Any word? Was just wondering if I need to get in contact with Ron.

@4bangertj:

Hand tools wise we use:

Post Hole Diggers
Rockbars
Shovels
Tamp
Wrenches/Impact Wrench
Chain (not a hand tool but very handy)

Don't forget gloves, and winter supplies/clothing for the December work day. :beer:

The issue of the bobcat/auger rental still hasn't been resolved. We still need someone to rent the bobcat Friday the 17th. Haul it out to Uwharrie for the Hunt Camp meet Saturday the 18th at 9AM. Then after the work day is over and the weekend is over, return the equipment that monday. We currently have $255 to give to the person that handles this to cover the rental. Plus any funds people donate at the work day. Please PM me or post up here if you can help out in this area. Thanks in advance! :beer:

Back