Dead fridge - barf

Discussion in 'General Chit Chat' started by Blaze, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Blaze

Blaze The Jeeper Reaper

My garage fridge died and I didn't notice it until last night. I guess it has been a few days in the 90+ deg heat. I had about 15# of meat in the fridge, ground beef, chicken, sausage, etc.

The shop smells like death. I got the thing cleaned out wearing rubber gloves and my cartridge mask I used when I paint car stuff. I showered and everything and I swear I still smell like rotting meat. :shaking:

It is only like 15 years old too, so not super old really. Had a lot of cool stickers on it too. Sad. :(

Chris_Keziah likes this.
  2. shelby27604

shelby27604 Well-Known Member

I probably would have wrapped some ratchet straps around it and brought it to the dump.....

doc, jeepinmatt, Jason W. and 6 others like this.
  3. RatLabGuy

RatLabGuy You look like a monkey and smell like one too

this. If its going to teh dump anyway, shoulda just dealt hwith it all at once.

Jason W., Oneofsix and Chris_Keziah like this.
  4. Blaze

Blaze The Jeeper Reaper

Well, I had to get my beer out of it.

And with where it was sitting I couldn't get it out without taking the handles off, which necessitated me opening the door to do it. At that point I just double bagged the meat in two contractor bags.

5. Blaze

Blaze The Jeeper Reaper

Is it worth it to try and have a fridge repaired? This fridge is a big ass Amana one that was like over a grand back in 2002. It was in our house in Greensboro and we brought it with us and made it a garage fridge when we moved back to Raleigh.

I can always buy a cheapo one for not much, but it wouldn't be as nice as this one.

6. shelby27604

shelby27604 Well-Known Member

If it were me, I would just go buy a cheap, no frills $400 fridge at Lowe's, with less electronics on the cheap ones, they will probably long outlast the "nice" fridges. If it is not going to get seen everyday (like a kitchen fridge) I would want it as reliable as possible for as cheap as possible.

Of course, you could have bought my 1950's hotpoint and had a fridge you could give your grand kids on their wedding day.....but that ship has sailed!

7. shawn

shawn running dog lackey of the oppressor class Administrator

It depends on what's wrong with it. If there's anything wrong with the refrigeration system (compressor, etc), then I wouldn't mess with it. We have an old side by side in the laundry room that was in the house when we bought it. It worked, but didn't seem to get very cold. I did some investigating and found the coils in the freezer were freezing up. The little thermostats that control the defrost cycle had crapped out. I bought a couple of new ones on eBay and it's been fine for over five years now.

tl;dr: do some investigating, it might be a cheap/easy fix

CarolinaHD likes this.
  8. OutLander469

OutLander469 Member

It could be been worse. You could be looking at a house that's been abandoned for a few decades and you happen to open the fridge thats in there. The realtor and I had to evacuate the building it was so bad.

trailhugger likes this.
  9. Atla

Atla Pew Pew! Vroom Vroom!

You should have wrapped it in chains and tossed it into a lake.

Scooter402 likes this.
  10. Blaze

Blaze The Jeeper Reaper

I'm just glad it didn't fail when I was out of town last week, only a couple days did this. Woof.

I'll probably do some research to see what it might be.

11. OutLander469

OutLander469 Member

I smell !!Dead Things!!

12. RatLabGuy

RatLabGuy You look like a monkey and smell like one too

Spend an hour, no more, investigating whats wrong w/ it. Could be a simple problem like a bad thermal cutoff switch or even just a shitty ground on the compressor.
    You could get another cheap one, the problem is the newer gen of appliances aren't any mroe guaranteed to last than an old one.

jeepinmatt likes this.
  13. rockcity

rockcity everyday is a chance to get better

That sucks!

I had a chest freezer fail me several years ago. Walked by it for at least a week smelling a hint of something dead, thinking it was a dead mouse somewhere. Opened up the freezer and the smell nearly knocked me on my tail.

if you still have a smell in the room, try an ozone generator to eliminate the smell.

14. mommucked

mommucked Endeavoring to persevere

If that dont work jeepinmatt has a solution.......smoke smells better than rotting meat.

15. Blaze

Blaze The Jeeper Reaper

Yeah, I have a ozone generator and I definitely plan to try that if the smell doesn't go away. Right now the smell isn't as noticeable, so hoping I won't have to go that far.

16. Blaze

Blaze The Jeeper Reaper

Well, I cleaned the fridge up as best as I could and plugged it back in. The lights come on and all. but I don't hear any fan running. I'll investigate further later because it still smelled like ass so I put the ozone generator in it and left it for the night.

17. josh m

josh m Well-Known Member

Use it to store your auto paint in. It won’t smell like death long, especially if you’re storing urethane paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jeepinmatt likes this.
  18. BigBody79

BigBody79 Well-Known Member

We had a freezer out in a barn. It died. FIL drags it into the cow pasture and buried the whole thing. Never opened it.

RatLabGuy and jeepinmatt like this.