Darn rocks!!!

JoeyValkyrie

Darn rocks (edited)

Specs: 2000 TJ w/ 4.0 6 Cyl. Stock oil pan/transmission skid plate. 3.5" susp lift.
Out of town for the weekend and decided to cut across a sandy lot last night...and now I wish I hadn't. Halfway across I heard a loud thud and found myself stuck on a large piece of concrete that was on the other side of an embankment. I bent the crap out of my oil pan and it's got a slight leak. I know this will need to be replaced. The only thing funny I noticed is my oil pressure gauge moves between just below 40 (idle) and 60 (hwy speed)...is this normal? I've never paid that close attention before.
2.jpg

I also bent the skidplate under my tranny/xfer case...This is causing me concern. I don't THINK it bent enough to move the tranny/xfer case up, but I'm not sure. There are no vibrations when I drive and it's not making any new noises. Opinions?
1.jpg

bottom of skid plate
3.jpg

passenger side top of skid plate
4.jpg

driver side top of skid plate
5.jpg

tranny
6.jpg

above skid plate by the xfer case

Talk about dumb luck! You could have ended up a whole lot worse that what happened....

How many miles are on the motor? That oil pressure seems fine. The more miles on the motor, the lower the oil pressure will read since all the tollerences open up. 40psi at an idle is fine for the factory gauge. If you are really worried get a mechanical oil pressure gauge to get real time accurate oil pressure readings. I have seen worse dents in skid plates than what you have. Run it until you bash it up some more then upgrade.

AARON

Better double check that rear chunk and make sure the lip on the cover isn't peeled back (potential slow gearoil leak)!

I'm guessing about 50mph or so Ken! :lol:

Back