Dana 70U

CLRracer

Mopar Nut
As a result of an interest (obsession?) I have with 81-93 Dodge trucks I have several Dana 70U rear axles sitting around my house. I know they all have 32 spline axles and that one of the pinion bearings is smaller. For a rig on 42in tires, would the spline count or the smaller pinion bearing be of concern? The rig in question will be a heavy turd up front but should be relatively light out back and isn't putting out a lot of HP but decent torque. Also a quick search on ECGS's website shows a 32 spline Detroit locker for 4.10 down, but has "check availability" for the 4.56 up. Are parts becoming hard to find for the 32 spline internals? Switching to 35 spline axles is an option but then I'd have to buy shafts. Anything else that would steer me away from using one of these?

Duane

a 70u is basicly a dana 60 with a 70 ring and pinion. It runs the same bearings as a 60, unlike the HD version. 32 spline stuff is limited and pricey. The 70u is not a bad piece but you would be better off in the long run to run 35 spline stuff. Be very cautious if any of the axles you have are 3.07 ratio. It may be one of the weird pinion offset versions

None of them are 3.07 geared, and shouldn't be the more offset housing based on the year they came from, but Dodge has done some stupid crap before. I know the main candidate is normal offset. Running a 35 spline locker and shafts is a consideration, but if I have to hunt down a whole new axle I'll just build a 14 bolt. Which is what I should do, but I don't have half a dozen of the damn things laying around like Dana 70s :rolleyes:

Duane

I had a Dodge 70-1SU years back that had 35 spline shafts in a 70-U housing, factory 4.56s.

Came out of a W-350 wrecker I was told, but never saw the truck they were pulled from.

Back