Dad and I got a cheap CJ...

SStone

After years of reading and hearing stories about a mildly built "something" being purchased for a few hundred dollars, it was getting old. Well, one hell of a cheap Jeep finally rolled through for my father and I. He had mentioned possibly getting some quads again but I convinced him we should find a cheap "built" Jeep instead. Plus, we are long overdue on taking on a true father-son project.

Enter the $500 CJ. A friend of dads had this Jeep for quite a while, yet his wife wanted it gone. He didn't give too many details aside from what I could already see. Clear title, 304 RUNS nice/?tranny/D300/44 front (not sure if its open or locked), 9" rear lunchbox locker of some sort. Not sure on the diff ratios. It's sitting on 38" Boggers on 15x10 steelies. SOA with Skyjacker springs and no blocks.

There's some frame rot and some rough spots in the tub, but the axles and t-case alone were worth the price IMO.

Here's a cell pic. Going to take better pictures tomorrow. That is, after I get that pesky snap-ring off of the steering column (CJ guys will know what I'm talking about) so I can get the old ignition cylinder with the broken key out.
Photo0147.jpg

Needs a crap ton of TLC and then some....

It's going to get lowered, slightly smaller tires, twin-sticked, etc. Stuff that can be done relatively cheap. Instead of making it larger, I would like to make some small changes to get the most out of the existing drivetrain.

Didn't realize I had gotten so many replies!

I've never really had anything this "built" but I'm going to make it into my own creation soon enough.

I have TOO MANY plans for this but there's a few things I need to take care of first.

-Minor frame rot in front of the rear spring hangers (rest of the frame is in alright shape). Planning on cutting out the rust and sleeving with appropriate box tube
-Needs new front floor pans
-Needs a few body mounts repaired
-Countless small cancer spots on the tub (more than 50% isn't rusted... yet)
-Front shock mounts are just plain sad... F-series shock towers are the plan

As far as changes and mods...
-Planning on swapping to a lower , more flexible set of leafs
-Shackles on bumpers (not necessarily the factory bumpers)
-Wheel well modifications
-Some sort of cage
-Clock, twin-stick the D300
-Winch
-Soft top (would like a half cab top)
-Ditch the long tube headers and side pipes for a more factory style 2-1 exhaust system with a "welded" style muffler

Once I start patching the frame up, I will start a (re)build thread.

I'm IN LOVE with this thing even though it's a skyscraping mud rig. It has most of the parts that I would want for a mild build. It just needs to be "Tweaked" a little to my liking. The potential and most of the steel is there. It just needs to be rearranged...

The best part about this Jeep is the fact that I've read countless "hardcore" builds at various places over the years, and by the time I found it, I knew exactly what I want to do...

Here's a side profile pic.
jeep002.jpg

Planning on a single color paint job, YJ springs, running a full exhaust, clocking the D300, removing the t-case drop (depending on resulting d-shaft angle AFTER lowering and clocking), possibly new driveshafts if aforementioned setup doesn't work out, downsizing tires as much as the unknown diff ratios (will find out soon) allow, and a "simple" cage. Then I'll have to find a way to get it to the Flats, URE, Harlan, etc, as I don't have a tow rig. One bite at a time...

Currently saving up for a 220V Mig, and fixing the stuff that I have the tools for. The list goes on and on.

Don't count on a build thread anytime soon. :lol:

Back