Custom bikini top

CasterTroy

Faster'N You
Anyone got experience with a custom aluminum, lexan, sheet-metal bikini top on your cage as opposed to a soft top or hard top?

I'm thinking of getting some aluminum and sheeting the top of my cage instead of running any top at all, since this will be a fair weather vehicle only.

Do you think there would be any issues with running an aluminum or lexan sheet across the top of my cage at road speed? I mean I've seen it all the time on trail only vehicles...but never on a street & trail rig

Any danger of the wind yankin it off at speed?

I don't have experience with it, but I see no reason it can't be done with success.
Some camper shells are aluminum( mine is) and hold up fine. I have a friend with a lexan cover on the rear area of his Hybrid. So far so good. It stays on at highway speeds. Well kinda, it's on a trailer but going fast LOL.
I would say it will all depend on how you attach it.
Good luck

Mine is just fine at 75mph... Just riveted to the cage, used alot of clear sillycone to minimize rattles and buzzing.

.063 Aluminum diamond plate.

so you DID get yours done?

I thought about rivets....but then there will be days I'm SURE where I want it off.

I'm thinking about making it sectional so I can remove it and stick it under the back seat. Use some Dzus motorcycle quick releases for anchor points :D

CasterTroy said:
Anyone got experience with a custom aluminum, lexan, sheet-metal bikini top on your cage as opposed to a soft top or hard top?

I'm thinking of getting some aluminum and sheeting the top of my cage instead of running any top at all, since this will be a fair weather vehicle only.

Do you think there would be any issues with running an aluminum or lexan sheet across the top of my cage at road speed? I mean I've seen it all the time on trail only vehicles...but never on a street & trail rig

Any danger of the wind yankin it off at speed?

Im interested to see what you find out. I'm looking at making something what your describing for the cage on my 2A. But I would like it to be removable. Thought about using these so it would be easy to put on and remove. http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...goryId=14445&parentCategoryId=11333&langId=-1

The fasteners neptco suggested would work good. Commonly called zeus fasteners. I plan on getting some to attatch my bedsides with, and have heard of a shop near Concord Mills that sells anything that comes off a racecar (used obviously). If/when I get a chance to go down there I am sure I can pick up about 4 extras (since I will probably get a bagfull).

Damn guys.. DZUS!!! Troy is right.

There's times when I want mine off too, but mine is also for safety in a roll, and those damn dzus fasteners pop off when you least want 'em to.

Rich said:
those damn dzus fasteners pop off when you least want 'em to.

They have to be applied to tension to work right.

Found that out with the ducati :mad: You have to mount the anchor farther back than flush and allow the latch engage, then it flexes out to where it needs to be

The way I figured it, I would shape the top the way it needs to be perfectly, then where I have a mount, bent up the edge and peel it back about a foot so that unsecured it would look like cheese on a burger upside down (you know, with the very corners folded over) and the negative tension will create enough pull to really make the latch work

But..in a rollover it'll take a hit, and probibly relieve that stress and ....well you're right, it'll pop right out :mad:

Okay maybe I'm crazy here. But as opposed to rivets, why not drill a small hole, and then screw/bolt the top down? Then you can just unscrew the bolts to take it off.

Back