CTD 24V power controller?

drkelly

Dipstick who put two vehicles on jack stands
My buddy John is telling me that I should buy a power controller for my Dodge. It is a 2001 model and is stock. I know absolutely nothing about hot rodding a diesel. I have seen a few advertisements, but don't know enough to buy one. I am not interested in spending a fortune to make this truck fast, but he said these things only cost a few hundred dollars and make a HUGE difference and can be switched on and off. I am looking for some eduction on this subject and some suggestions.

Thanks,
DK

Edge Comp is very popular and wildly adjustable. Be sure to get an exhaust, GAUGES, and some kind of low-restriction intake first.

The PO installed EGT, boost, and fuel pressure gauges, so I am set in that area. The EDGE comp looks like a good unit. I like the adjustable options from stock to 120hp. Are the exhaust and air intake mods really required, or do they just help get the most out of the controller? I have trouble with my hearing, so I can't put a really loud exhaust system on this truck.

Edge Comp is a great unit. Mine is always on the 2 or 3 level. 4" Exhaust is a must in my opinon. It helps the EGTs cool a good bit compared to the older stock 3" exhaust the 2001 has. I got my kit from here.

http://www.sourceautomotive.biz/

Great price and quality. Its not chrome or bling but it does the job.

This forum will be your new found interest.
http://www.turbodieselregister.com/

If you are looking for a good NC Diesel Shop
http://powerbypoole.com/home.html
can get you anything you need for the Dodges.

Good luck
Seth

Cant tell i am bored at work today can you

If you are looking for a good NC Diesel Shop
http://powerbypoole.com/home.html
can get you anything you need for the Dodges.
Good luck
Seth
Cant tell i am bored at work today can you
not at all...
get a 12 valve...all you need is a grinder and a screwdriver and you can smoke (literally) a 24 valve...right Seth?...
Poole's cool...call 'em up...
drifting in a dually is quite entertaining...good luck...

I run a 2001 CTD QC 4x4 SB w/ boost, egt, fuel press, and tranny temp gauges, but haven't put a controller on it. I did just put a mbrp 4" SS turbo back on it. Its a little bit louder when under heavy load, and just a little bit deeper pitched the rest of the time. I still hear the engine noise more than the exhaust. It actually seems to pull a better in the lower rpm range.

I haven't decided on an intake yet... I want at least stock filter quality so k&n is out. The other options I've seen aren't cheap. But that will be the next performance upgrade I do.

My main concern about the controller is the fuel delivery system. I can take mine to 7 psi when I get on the gas stock. I will upgrade the pusher pump, banjos, and lines for more fuel capacity before trying to turn it up too much. I don't wanna have to replace the IP (if possible). I'd rather be buying parts for the rig.

A secondary concern is the Auto Tranny. While driving not locked out (1st and 2nd gear with) on mtn roads I watch my fluid temp get pretty hot on the pre-cooler line. With more power you run a greater risk of tranny issues IMHO.
Needless to say I would really enjoy a few extra HP up the big hills, but am looking at the added costs above just the controller... seems like it could get pricy really quickly. Just some food for thought since I'm burning time till 5 today. :beer:

I relocated my (stock style) lift pump down to the frame rail infront of the tank and i am running PowerbyPoole's big fuel line kit. When towing wide open up Black Mountain towing 10K+ my fuel pressure never drops below 10-11 PSI. W/ my Edge comp on level 2 or 3 depending on the mood i am in and how many Fords are in my way.

*PowerbyPooles fuel kit is normal set up to run the pump on the side of the block. I just got a longer 6AN line and ran the new line back to the pump of the frame....hope that makes since.

Mods for thous curious...(2001 3500)

Edge Comp
BHAF
4' exhaust
guages

Seth

I've got an 01' with all the gauges, yadah yahdah...etc. my fuel pressure gauge only dips to 8 psi. when running the edge comp box on the highest level. I have 5" exhaust that splits to dual just before the rear diff. straight piped. I run a K&N filter in the stock box (yes, all you K&N haters save your lectures, I know) One thing I have noticed from having a pressure gauge, my fuel filter needs to be changed about every 10k miles to keep the pressure where it needs to be. I also have a vulcan big line kit which moves the lift pump from the block down to the frame rail, in turn creating more of a "pusher" than a "puller" pump. I have a 6 speed so I don't really care about the tranny, it doesn't slip the clutch turned all the way up and towing close to 18k pounds. It is a bit loud, but not too bad in the cab. I've told told time and time again it sounds like a road tractor more than a pickup and the redneck in me sorta likes that. The last trip to Grey Rock it tipped the scales at just under 25k, cruise was set @75 and it was never taken out of 6th.:huggy:

If you haven't already decided on something, Five Points Motor Co. in High Point can get anything you need for a diesel (or should I say, anything you want). Give Mark a call 336-883-8902, real knowledgable guy and great to deal with. He can point you in the right direction and be sure your not getting your truck into something that it cant handle, ie. high EGT's, tranny temps, etc.

I messed around with my Edge Controller tonight on the ride home from dinner. It is scary how much of a difference it actually makes. I never went above setting 3 mainly because I ran out of road to quick with the other lower settings. Oh and smoke, yes it will.
If I were contemplating it, I'd find someone with one already installed and ask for a test drive. You'd be sold immediately.

:beer:
Staton

I haven't bought anything yet. I towed with it down to UNF this past weekend. I saw a high of 1,100 for EGT while accelerating hard on a slight grade. I am concerned that the controller will increase EGT's beyond that number to unacceptable levels. Will the upgraded air filter and exhaust keep EGT's in check with the controller?

Thanks,
Danny

1. You want to open up the intake and exhaust before you try and add any power.
2. At lower levels, an edge box can reduce EGT over stock (advanced timing)
3. Your right foot ultimately controls EGT.

;)

what rich said. I noticed an 400 Degree (average)drop on egt with 4 inch exhuast and afe Pro-guard 7 Intake while towing heavy. Now i have a hard time getting mine above 1100 (although i did see 1250 pulling up fancy gap with over 24,000 gross. topped the mountain at 62

Back