Covering Frenched rear spring hangers

Jason924R

When I did the SAS I learned as I went and a lot of things happened I did not plan for and I also made some mistakes along the way.

Anyway, I have frenched rear spring hangers for the front of my rear springs. Got them from Marlin. Here's a pic:
frsh.jpg

frsh2.jpg

One of these mistakes is me putting lift blocks on my rear end because I lost lift when the springs were hung from the frame instead of from a shackle.

Now I'm covering them up. Will, from ROCKBOTTOM4x4 is taking the job.

We decided on some sloped rear spring hangers. Go to Marilin's homepage. Click Suspension/SAS > Spring Mounts. It is the last set on the page.

It does not say the dimensions of the hanger so I do not know if it will make up for the 5 inches (I think it was) that I lost.

I'm thinking I should buy Marlin's shackle hangers (1st on spring mount page) and two shackles because thats what the rear rear has.

rrs.jpg

Look at the difference: http://jason.herrjohannes.com/btnt.jpg

??

-Jason

I like the idea of using that joint instead of the typical spring-eye bushings at the top of the shackle. Looks good, keep us up-to-date!

Umm, dude, from the looks of it, your rear springs are on BACKWARD !!

Military wrap goes to the front, in the frame, the wrap of the second leaf helps maintain control when/if the main leaf breaks

notice the top leaf above the main ? has no EYE, it is there to help axle wrap. It should also be to the front of the axle. Loading the front of the leaf pack helping to prevent wrap. It only covers the front half of the leaf pack so it doesn't interfere with spring rate/cycling

I would bet the reason you crapped the rear gear was you bound up the Ujoint and fragged the pinion due to spring wrap.

proper assembly is paramount for longevity ;)

Just thought you'd like to know

Kevin

You didn't wonder why the front of the spring was binding up in the pocket when you flexed or raised the truck on the lift ?

That part is the rear, and will fan a bit when the leaves are compressed during articulation. Is what tipped me off in the pix that something weren't right.

won't help your lift issue, but will definatly help the wrap issue. blocks or no blocks.

Kevin

Does the flex joint have the delrin bushings like a Rubicon Super Flex joint? I'm not sure how long the bushings will last with all the weight on them.

I'm seriously confused. You're talking about re-mounting the front eye of your rear leaf springs, right? You don't use a shackle hangar unless it's going to connect to...a shackle.

What am I missing?

P.S. lift sucks. keep it low. :smokin:

Rich said:
I'm seriously confused. You're talking about re-mounting the front eye of your rear leaf springs, right? You don't use a shackle hangar unless it's going to connect to...a shackle.

What am I missing?

I don't know. All I'm trying to do is figure out if the sloped rear spring hangers are going to be enough to make my truck sit even.

Yeah, you need the spring to be solid mounted to the frame at on end to locate the axle. With a shackle at both ends it would be similiar to running a 1/4 Elliptical/coilover/coil without the links.

The slope hangers will be fine. I am sure Will will take care of you. The hangers should lower the front of the spring back down 2-3 inches, giving you 1/2 that amount of lift. And yes, those springs were on backwards. I assume you have a 2" block, so it should be close.

Seth

Back