Coronavirus project thread

looking to add a gravel fire pit area beside the current deck. what is the best material to put down to prevent grass from growing thru?
Nothing will last. I have rock beds that are old but grow weeds every year. You will have to treat it often to keep them gone.

looking to add a gravel fire pit area beside the current deck. what is the best material to put down to prevent grass from growing thru?
An oak tree

Thats what i was wondering, even try a material or just spray with Pramitol.
My area has plants. so treating it with anything hurts them. If its an area with no growth I'd put down a layer of the anti growth plastic put the rocks on it and spray them every 6 months. It amazes me how plants grow in no soil.

That's what i wanted, however its not big enough to call a truck and mixing 100 bags didn't sound like fun either. lol I guess i could do it in sections.

You might see if there's any small-truck operations around your area (much smaller than normal concrete trucks). There were one or two around Charlotte back a few years ago that specialize in small jobs, which I how I found out about that. I've never used anything like that, I just know they exist.

That's what i wanted, however its not big enough to call a truck and mixing 100 bags didn't sound like fun either. lol I guess i could do it in sections.
How big of an area? A yard only covers 9'x9' 4" deep. If you're figuring 100 80# bags of premix, that's almost 2.5yds. I'd call around to your local ready mix plants and see what their minimum order is. I've had that small of an amount delivered before.

Edit:
Do it right and color and stamp it while you're at it. We colored and stamped our porches and it was well worth the extra cost.

After cutting up, splitting, and unloading the firewood, even with the awesome help I had, it took a toll on me. Between Friday and Saturday, I was able to get my power hooked at both my shop and my home, to give the building power. I was able to get one outlet wired. Then knowing I was going to have to move the scaffolding around, I went into clean up mode. It's amazing how many tools and so on you will have laying here and there. Most were used maybe only once, and then set down. Enough of that and it seems you have everything cluttered. To top it off, through the week, two pair of boots I had had resoled, came apart. So into the trash they will go. I wore a new pair on Friday, noticed they were not really breaking in, and made my toes hurt, switched to another pair of boots on Saturday, but my foot still hurt. uponinspection, I had a blood blister on my right toe, underneath the side of my toe, making walking painful. So, I have taken a few days off. Add to that the neuropathy in most of my upper body, I have been useless.
Pictures will come.

Still need to add a couple of pieces of gable trim I mis figured on, but besides that finished up the gravel work this weekend. No more walking in the mud when it rains. 11 tons of gravel picked up, dumped and spread.

Before ( poles are actually straight, optical illusion i guesss)
shed.jpg

adding some gravel
shed2.jpg

all nice and level
shed3.jpg

shed4.jpg

Still need to add a couple of pieces of gable trim I mis figured on, but besides that finished up the gravel work this weekend. No more walking in the mud when it rains. 11 tons of gravel picked up, dumped and spread.

Before ( poles are actually straight, optical illusion i guesss)
View attachment 317697

adding some gravel
View attachment 317698

all nice and level
View attachment 317699
View attachment 317700

Nice. I need a shed like that. Did you go with a kit or piece it together yourself?

Yeah they are who I have been looking at. $5/sqft with no sides or insulation feels strong considering you can close it in and insulate for $8/sqft. That's why I was wondering if he had pieced it together himself for cheaper.

I purchased the poles, metal rafters, and 2x6 perlins as a kit from Strouds for the 24 x 24. I purchased all of the metal and lean to materials separate.

I purchased the poles, metal rafters, and 2x6 perlins as a kit from Strouds for the 24 x 24. I purchased all of the metal and lean to materials separate.
How much was the kit minus the metal roofing? I can get metal local for around a dollar per ft.

How much was the kit minus the metal roofing? I can get metal local for around a dollar per ft.
It has been a couple of years ago, but I think it was around $1400. You can easily figure out the cost of buying your own materials. The trusses are $12.50 a foot and you can go up to 12' between them. Then you can price your lumber, screws and sheet metal and trim pieces to see how it comes out.

I just purchased a standing roof kit. I got quotes from strouds and r&r, both in Morganton. R&R was over $1000 cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well Iv been busy w all kinds of chit and working 40s, so the house had to wait.
20200329_195842.jpg

Then I went to the other corner ..
20200501_183908.jpg

20200501_183921.jpg
20200514_201825.jpg

Now Im gettin better, I put another brace above the soffit. Had to glue the deck to the new rafter and bracing. The $3 nail puller from NT and the $12 painters tool are worth much more. The $20 harbor freight oscillating tool made cutting the old trim to the shingles and cutting the nails under the shingles in the rafter easy.
20200512_201619.jpg

Last edited:
Wife was tired of looking at the neighbors chicken coop and decided she wanted a fence built. Doubles as a climbing wall for the kids.

01fb0b2225bb0f882e6565e92c6b0b2d.jpg
6cd85e9ccc0f11178f39a0990ea3a2fa.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Fence looks good, but that isn't a bad looking coop... plus it's alot harder to walk over in the morning and gets eggs now.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Back