Concrete anchor location

justjeepin86

So, i want to put a couple of anchors in my floor to pull vehicles in to the shop. I need to put them as close to the wall as possible to not have them in the way. The problem i see is that it's it applying pressure to a thin area. How far do you guys think i should put from the edge of the slab?

I will be pulling straight from the floor at the wall pictured.
20240127_105609.jpg

If you're inside the studwall, the concrete is plenty thick enough to handle the load. I'd put in a few of these:

Then buy a couple 3/4-10 safety hoist rings and thread em in when you need em, and have a smooth, clear floor when you don't.

Last edited:
Id bolt down a 2ft piece of 6" channel that I had a d ring welded to. 4 1/2" redheads would hold it all day long. You won't rip the concrete up. Worst case is the anchors will pull up a little over time and you have to retighten them. I wouldn't think it would happen though as long as you don't have any shock loads. I have 4" angle anchored into 4" concrete in warehouses that my folks butt pallets up to, and not always gently. Pulling a rolling vehicle in should be a piece of cake.

Hiltis minimum edge distance for a shear load on a 3/4x5 1/2" anchor is typically 5". Or at least that's what we are told for holding up a building. I'd say anything more than 5" from edge of slave will be just fine.

More pics/details of your gantry. Solid use of space!
I think i posted some pics on here when i did that. I had to widen that area to gain space and decided to throw an I beam up there. It's been really handy, but a little short. I'll take a couple next time I'm out.
I did add a spot in the rafters last week to put the cab on my truck.

20240115_103701.jpg
20240114_185935.jpg

Back