College entrance cheating scandal

well its not like they were actually there to begin with
Just on paper it would appear.Id like to be a fly on the wall and witness the melt down those girls have when they get back home.

So... how did these kids manage to graduate?

I expect to see some more arrests once they get around to that portion of the investigation.
It's a hell of a lot easier to graduate high school than to get into Southern California....
Moat places if you just show up semi-regularly, you're going to graduate. Maybe not w/ a high GPA, but you'll have a degree.

It's a hell of a lot easier to graduate high school than to get into Southern California....
Moat places if you just show up semi-regularly, you're going to graduate. Maybe not w/ a high GPA, but you'll have a degree.

NCLB pretty much guaranteed that.

lol 500 BILLIOAN dollars?
I get "lawsuit to make a point", but come on, that's just ridiculous.

I struggled with understanding if that was TRULY billion (Dr. EVIL) or some other abbreviation given how ridiculous that seemed

I struggled with understanding if that was TRULY billion (Dr. EVIL) or some other abbreviation given how ridiculous that seemed
it would be ridiculous even as MILLION

Just heard on Tucker Carlson a few mins ago that Lori's daughter Olivia Jade’s trademark application for her make up line was rejected for poor punctuation!! Anybody see the irony in that??

My response was in regards to what I quoted, not so much the thread topic.

Beyond that...
1) whole heartedly agree on the extra-curriculars/experience...that’s a factor most places. To your point, GPA typically just means you’re good at taking notes and remembering what the book said
2) no disrespect, but as you pointed out, your pay scale is kinda fubar’d. You get a kid that endured a significantly tougher program, probably knows more and could be a bigger asset, but because they got a couple extra C’s down a tougher path, they start behind the 8 ball. I’d bet that’s a great recruiting mechanism for top talent...’work harder, take a tougher path, make less’. Not to mention, kids that go to top tier programs, usually don’t shoot for government pay if decent private sector options are on the table
3) Id also be willing to bet, if all things are equal (or even semi-close), GPA and real world-y type stuff, you’d have a hard time justifying that community college candidate over a UPenn candidate.
4) My perspective isn’t 100% guaranteed, but more often than not, right out of school, pedigree will get some consideration somewhere along the line...whether it’s where they recruit, similar candidates, network, etc etc.
Missed this before.

2) - you're not wrong. The OPM rules for hiring and pay are ridiculous and very constraining. This is a big part of why government agencies have a hard time attracting and keeping good talent. It's a serious problem for those of us in the R&D field, why would anybody work where they are prescribed to limited options vs working for a private tech firm and can rise quicker? Also, see also the previous thread re: frozen annual raises. As a result, we have to be creative about finding ways to be appealing and get good people.
3) - in the decade I've been here, I have never seen two applications where "all things were equal". There is always some kind of differentiating prior experience. The only time that could happen is if both applicants have ONLY a degree and nothing else - in which case neither would be hired.
4) - pedigree will matter only based on who you worked with/trained under while there. There are some really awesome labs training great people at obscure schools.

Of course that's just in my little microcosm.

And they’ve changed Lori with money laundering now.

(For her) That just went from: "My career is ruined, I'll never work again, I'll have to sell one of my Mil $ homes"
To:"I may actually serve hard time for this and be living in a trailer park"

Lawyers will likely cut a sweet deal :rolleyes:

(For her) That just went from: "My career is ruined, I'll never work again, I'll have to sell one of my Mil $ homes"
To:"I may actually serve hard time for this and be living in a trailer park"

Lawyers will likely cut a sweet deal :rolleyes:
She'll get a sweet reality show deal and make a mint,

From what I have read, she is most likely going to spend some time in jail.

From what I have read, she is most likely going to spend some time in jail.
My skeptical side says "yeah right" but they did send Martha Stewart to the pen so who knows.

but they did send Martha Stewart to the pen so who knows.

And now she's making bank with SNOOP of all people

I guess these days she could make a sex tape and bounce back into billionaire status :smokin:

"Aunt Becky's full house" :rockon:

And now she's making bank with SNOOP of all people

I guess these days she could make a sex tape and bounce back into billionaire status :smokin:

"Aunt Becky's full house" :rockon:

I am not one who usually looks forward to a celebrity sex tape, but I would watch that one for sure.

My skeptical side says "yeah right" but they did send Martha Stewart to the pen so who knows.
Martha took it like a champ. I have respect for her.

Maybe aunt Becky says fuck it and spends a little time at "Camp Cupcake".

The DA said Felicity will likely get a lighter sentence b/c she flat out admitted what she did, profusely apologized, and said she'd take whatever punishment was appropriate.

Back