Clicking noise coming from flexplate

93redzj

On my 93 XJ with auto trans, there is a clicking noise that seems to be coming from the flexplate area. It seemed to get worse once we lifted the Jeep 4.5” and did the t-case drop on it, I had read on another forum about the flexplate bolts maybe being loose and to check them for tightness, 3 of the 4 were good and the 4th was MIA. So I got me a 4th, got them all tight. Still same issue. My dad is thinking maybe the flex plate is loose on the crank side of the block, the flex plate seems to have some wobble in it as motor was running. In order to check and or tighten those, I’ll have to drop the trans, so I figured I’d see what you guys thought before I did all the work of dropping the trans.

Where the plate bolts to torque converter? I didn’t notice any cracks, I had read about that being a possible issue as well, would it be a crack you can see? Like an obvious issue?

I had a 2000 XJ that started knocking on. Found out later it was the flex plate. They crack near the center around the crank and make a ticking/knocking noise.

I literally just went thru the exact same scenario on my wife 2014 Dodge Caravan, it had a cracked flex plate. I was even able to pull the inspection cover and confirm that was the case. Should be able to do the same on the Jeep.
6F6C1FBE-71CF-44DA-BFC1-5AC2CABD7679.jpeg

‘97 XJ 4.0 same issue. Cracked around the crank holes. Drove it to the shop like this. New one from oreillys and back on the road like new.
EF9E17E7-DAE8-4426-844A-8602D373BBEA.jpeg

Last edited:
I had a 2000 XJ that started knocking on. Found out later it was the flex plate. They crack near the center around the crank and make a ticking/knocking noise.

I literally just went thru the exact same scenario on my wife 2014 Dodge Caravan, it had a cracked flex plate. I was even able to pull the inspection cover and confirm that was the case. Should be able to do the same on the Jeep.
View attachment 305822
Yeah I’ve pulled the inspection cover, I don’t see any cracking, maybe it’s on the backside of the plate? And I’ll see it once I pull the trans? It’s sounding more and more like it’s the flex plate anyways from what you guys are saying and what I’ve read. I just dread dropping the trans

I know a guy... He's even got a few flexplates laying around. He'll do you right.

You may not be able to see the crack, since it can be just around the crank area, and possibly not extend further..

Back