CJ8 Pricing Advice

brp083085

Looking at this Scrambler for sale. Would love to know what you guys think and whether or not I should pursue. Below is the vehicle description from the seller:

1984 CJ8 Scrambler. Body has around 160k miles and the motor was swapped out with a fuel injected 4.0 HO from a YJ. Original twin stick Dana 300 transfer case matched with the Borg Warner T-5 (5 speed manual). Has a 3” super lift with 33” pro comp all terrains probably less than 500 miles on them. Body is in decent shape there are some spots that could be repaired but no holes through it again just sits in the garage. Drove this thing all over Hawaii loved it, moved to VA and it has been sitting in my garage since. I start it every couple of months but that’s about it. Had plans to completely redo the paint and do the 350 Swap but decided to get my son a car...you know the “adult decision”. But anywho if interested please just message me I’m a little flexible on the price but also know that these are hard to come by and get rarer each day. Not selling a restored vehicle price would be doubled but very cool to drive around in.1984 CJ7 Scrambler also called the CJ8. Body has around 160k miles and the motor was swapped out with a fuel injected 4.0 HO from a YJ. Original twin stick Dana 300 transfer case matched with the Borg Warner T-5 (5 speed manual). Has a 3” super lift with 33” pro comp all terrains probably less than 500 miles on them. Body is in decent shape there are some spots that could be repaired but no holes through it again just sits in the garage. Drove this thing all over Hawaii loved it, moved to VA and it has been sitting in my garage since. I start it every couple of months but that’s about it. Had plans to completely redo the paint and do the 350 Swap but decided to get my son a car...you know the “adult decision”. But anywho if interested please just message me I’m a little flexible on the price but also know that these are hard to come by and get rarer each day. Not selling a restored vehicle price would be doubled but very cool to drive around in.

Attachments

• IMG_7977.JPG
    IMG_7977.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_7976.JPG
    IMG_7976.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_7975.JPG
    IMG_7975.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_7974.JPG
    IMG_7974.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_7971.JPG
    IMG_7971.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_7973.JPG
    IMG_7973.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_7970.JPG
    IMG_7970.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_7972.JPG
    IMG_7972.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_7969.JPG
    IMG_7969.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_7967.JPG
    IMG_7967.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_7968.JPG
    IMG_7968.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 175
  • 1.png
    1.png
    123.3 KB · Views: 187
  • 2.png
    2.png
    123.3 KB · Views: 190
  • 3.png
    3.png
    108.2 KB · Views: 189
  • 4.png
    4.png
    252.3 KB · Views: 184
I would try to haggle with him and accept wherever y'all land. Pictures look good. I would plan to have to replace that T5 in the future, especially if you drive it with some regularity.

It's weak. Mine grenaded third gear with just driving it around town. Granted I don't know how life was for it the first 32 years of it's life before I got it.

Some people have good luck with them, seems most do not. I'm just saying I would keep that in the back of your mind; And I would NOT let that deter you from buying it.

That's a solid deal, imo. T5's aren't that bad when built right. They have usually had the wrong oil run in them. I think, that's why they fail. Should run atf, not gear oil.

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk

Your responses tell me all i need to know. I'm going to talk with him tonight and if all goes well, it looks like i'll be getting back into the jeep world again! Can't wait to be back!

It's probably been painted, new stickers at the minimum. Rust is so hard to tell from pics. You will never know until you set eyes on it in person. Still a solid deal from the way it looks in pics. Really killer that it has a 4.0 in it too. If you are afraid of some rust, you should walk away. It will have some, for sure.

It's not that it makes me afraid, as long as it doesn't have holes in it, i'm ok with it. It can always be sanded down and fixed when/if I repaint it. I'm going to look at it on sunday with the intent of buying... Pending everything checks out.

Yea I wouldn't be worried about that rust, as long as the pictures are a fair representation of what it is. Wish this deal was around when I bought mine! I would have been all over it!

Looks like a great deal. Wouldn’t hurt to carry a small magnet and check a few spots around the body if you suspect any fiberglass or filler repairs under the paint when you look it over.

This may be a stupid question, but with it coming with the half cab hard top, if I wanted to, could I install a Bestop full Soft top with no issues?

Yes. You can take the hard top off (they are quite valuable) and buy a scrambler full soft top kit and install it. Really no difference from all other CJs, just longer.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Back