CJ35 Bobbed Deuce

nc4x4dude

Thought I’d share some of my projects beside in the for sale section…

Found this through nc4x4. Went to Boone to get it, drove back 5 ½ hours to Fayetteville with no top, going 50-55 mph, mostly in the rain. I was smiling the whole way!

Its an M35 Deuce and a Half that has been bobbed (rear axles removed, frame shortened, one rear axle reinstalled using front leaf springs). It has a straight 6 multifuel turbo diesel. It was pretty much stock except the bob and flatbed. I have relocated the fuel tank and batteries, flipped the hubs and most notably added the 53” Michelins on Stazworks 2 piece rims. Cut off a bunch of other stuff like mirrors, exhaust, steps/boxes, extra fuel tank and flatbed.

Here’s a link to build Pics so far. I’ll be adding more as I go.

http://s426.photobucket.com/albums/pp348/jamesturner/Pics%20CJ35%20Bobbed%20Deuce/

Here’s a link to Video from first time wheeling it last weekend.

http://s426.photobucket.com/albums/pp348/jamesturner/Vids%20CJ35%20Bobbed%20Deuce/

:driver:

IMG_4938-1.jpg

IMG_4935.jpg

IMG_4803.jpg

IMG_4798.jpg

It gets better mileage than my Grand Cherokee and its fun as hell to drive around town so I want to keep it streetable. With the bigger tires top speed is now 65-70 instead of 50-55.

It started life at over 13,000lbs, right now I’m around 8,000lbs, my goal is 6,000lbs. I’m going to remove winch/bumper, disc brakes all around, 54” boggers, reconfigure the whole cab/front clip, storage, relocate radiator, elec winch, cage, air assist steering, 3 link the rear, and ARB air lockers. :bounce2:

About the videos. The fuel tank is bolted to the cab, ratchet strap was “just in case”. I had permission to wheel on that property. The tires did rub/bend the fenders up a bit. With manual steering and those tires it is nearly impossible to steer off road in 4wd.

:driver:

very cool rig.

Sweet ride. Just curious though, why the rear 3 link instead of a double tri 4 link?

Thanks guys.

336wheeler, I figured a 3 link would be easier since I'm going to attempt it myself. I still need to do more research, thanks for the suggestion. The right side springs are mounted a 1/2 inch ahead of the left side so it "dog walks" especially when reversing, and the hangers left alot to be desired so I figured I'd update it completely for better departure, weight savings, flex and maybe a better ride.

A 4 link in the rear is pretty easy. Just get the uppers at least 75% of the lowers, and build the mounts for triangulation. 4 links are typically favored in the back because of less packaging constraints and if you want to play with the wheelbase, you don't have to move any track bar bracketry.

That's fawking cool... But damn.. keep the winch!

Thanks, but the winch has to go. Around 800+ lbs with the bumper and pto. Plus it would be like having a 16000lb winch on a Sammuri, overkill. It does look cool though, plus its worth $$, and I'll gain about a foot of clearance in the front.

Thanks for the comments.
71 Deuce, I would love to see some pics. I'm a Jeep man and always will be but you can't beat the M35 deuce. One of my favorite trucks that I've owned.

yep

that thing is bad ass

Back