Chili Season!

catfishblues

First batch of the new season. Budget Chili, baby! About $12 worth of supplies from Aldi's, some creative seasoning, and you've got one killer turkey chili!
ai90.photobucket.com_albums_k251_catfishblues1977_Bens_20Mudpidfff48fda85882605c6a4ae67207d825.jpg

thats funny

that you mentioned this today! My wife and I just held a chili cook off with a bunch of close friends today at our house. It was great!

yummm

* 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
* 6 pounds uncooked stew meat
* 2 pounds pork breakfast sausage with sage
* 2 large white onions chopped fine
* 1 can beef stock
* 2 small cans chipotle peppers in adobe sauce chopped fine
* 2 squares bittersweet chocolate
* 14 ounces canned salsa verde
* 24 ounces bottled dark beer
* 1 ounce top shelf tequila
* 2 limes juiced
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 6 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
* 3 tablespoons liquid smoke
* 6 tablespoons chili powder
* 6 tablespoons ground cumin
* 1 bunch green onions sliced
* 2 cups 4 blend cheese

# Heat olive oil in large cast iron pot on high heat.
# Add beef and cook until browned stirring occasionally.
# When browned remove from pot and set aside then drain well.
# Brown sausage and chopped onions until sausage is browned then drain well.
# Return beef to pot along with remaining ingredients then stir well.
# Cover and simmer on medium heat for 4 hours stirring occasionally

What time should I show up?

Bring a good beer and come on by, unless you can stomach the PBR we're drinking. Then you can show up empty-handed! As for the recipie, I don't have one. I've considered getting a personal recorder and just recording what I put in things, to put on paper later. It's a mix of 2 smaller cans of Chili beans, 1 or 2 small cans of Kidneys, 1 large can of Pintos, I think there were 3 cans of diced maters with green chilies, 2 bell peppers, 3 fresh jalapenos, 1 med. onion. For the meat, I used 2 lbs of Aldi's ground turkey, cooked with fresh ground sea salt, pepper, chili powder, sage, cumin, and a dash of paprika. The bean/mater mix gets coarse sea salt, about a tbl spoon, fresh ground pepper, tons of chili powder, yellow curry powder, ground mustard, crushed red pepper, oregano, and about half a beer, if it needs thinning. There may be some other stuff I'm missing, just grab what's in the cabinet and experiment. Let 'er simmer for a couple of hours and you're golden!

It wasn't too spicy, but just enough. The wife made cornbread for the first time, using the old family recipie. :huggy: None of that sugary crap, real cornbread. Mmmmmmm! That's what I call a meal. First chili and first fire of the season. It's going to be a good winter! :beer:

*nothing* compliments chili better than real cornbread. Excellent for scooping out the last morseld from your bowl.

I make chili mild enuff for women and children. I have made it so hot the dog wouldn't even eat it!

But, if i want heat, I keep a bottle of "Big Ed's" extremely hot hotsauce from Pulliams Hotdogs close by.

Matt

btw- Deer meat is for chili...turkey is for Thanksgiving!

Back