a_kelley

mechanical fixer
Ok looking for a

5sp manual
psd transfer case
to mate with a sbc.

Thinking a nv3500 with a np241 psd.

Pretty common application?

I think it was early 90s Chevy 1500 with a solid front axle. Right?

It's going in a 86 or 88 yoyo 4wd pickup with allot of lift that's getting a 327 with tbi conversion and solid front axle conversion. (Unless there is a dsd front axle that's the same bolt pattern as the rear and near the same width, which I don't think there is)

Does it matter if it has a cable driven speedometer or a VSS for the speedometer? I believe the 241 PSD was used from 88-91 in K5s and Suburbans. The half ton trucks went to IFS in 88. To the best of my knowledge, 88-89 were cable driven speedometers and 90-91 were VSS. The good thing is, you can do an SYE on a 241 really easily and they sell kits for it :D It might be handy with a lot of lift and you can use a slightly modified NP205 yoke on the rear with 1410 joints if you need to.

There were different NV3500s too. The biggest difference would be if you want an external slave cylinder or internal. I don't remember what year they changed them, but it's pretty obvious when you look at them.

Last thing...since the NV3500s are 32 spline outputs, you could run whatever GM transfer case you want. NP208, NP241 PSD, hell even an NP205 (85-91 round pattern) with a little bit of work and perhaps a spacer so the shift rails would clear.

DSD wagoneer 44 is 6 on 5.5. Not exactly a strength upgrade over a Toyota imo, but if you had any trouble making a psd setup work, atleast there's that option.

How much power do you anticipate making with this small block? If it's at or around 300 you should be fine with the nv3500. They did put a good many 4.8 LS engines paired with it. If you're 350 or more, I'd play it safe and go with a nv4500 and 241c but at that point I'm sure the 1/4-1/2 ton axles wouldn't be very enthused about it.

I'm still rocking a 3500 with a healthy 6.0, tons, and 37s. They're tougher than a lot of people think! There's a YouTube video of this guy that had a 4.8 truck...then did a 6.0...and then an 8.1 and kept the same NV3500 with all of them :D

Back