Chevy 6.5L

BigClay

Knower of useless ZJ things
I know most people prefer dodge or ford diesels, but those engines must be plated in gold for what some people want for them. So my question is this; is a 6.5L turbo diesel truck from GM with 150k+ worth buying? Opinions?

anyone?

I had one myself a few years back. I never had any real trouble out of mine but if your in a hurry to get somewhere id look for something else. Mine pulled black mtn, on the way to tellico at 20MPH tops with a k5 behind it. That truck had the electronic pump and they usually give trouble. I think mine was going out when I sold it. If you were to find a big block you would probably have about the same pulling power and if it ever gave you motor trouble it would be a whole lot easier and cheaper to fix. Unless you want a crew cab 4 door truck loaded to the max you should be able to pick and older model 7.3 ford up at adecent price. Just my 2 cents.

Personally i think the GM 6.5 is a great engine alot of ppl beg to differ but it def gets the job done!

The other diesels cost more, because they are WORTH more. Just keep that in mind. There is absolutely no reason that a turbocharged diesel should slow to 20 mph up a grade like b collins08 posted.

Well maybe so but the 6.5 we had at the farm for years never had a problem hauling anything and i hauled tractors and livestock with no problem and were not on flat ground out here in VA by any means, it was just an opinion but if ya got the money you might wanna go another route!!

I forgot to mention at 150k the crank broke in half and broke the block in the process. The guy who had the truck before me is a friend of mine and i think he said he paid out 2-3k for a long block, thats been 6 or 8 years ago, but I imagine they are still pretty high. The best mileage I ever got was around 10-12mpg.

Ive been told they pull great if you put a little cash into them. Like puting a heat sink and moving that circuit board and putting a intercooler on them.

After all the input here and else where, it looks like I will be better off saving a few more pennies and getting a cummins of powerstroke. Thanks for all the input :beer:

The only 6.5 I have any experience with is in the HMMWV and those are dogs! I know the HMMWV is a heavy rig, especially in the up armor version, but I have lot of seat time in H1s also and they have a hard time getting out of their own way! Just my experience.

Powerstroke!

If you are on a budget dont limit yourself to a diesel. Consider the GM gassers as well. For the savings on maintaince and the lack of diesel stink it may be worth it.

buy a diesel and we have a 6.5 in one of our work truck no problems with it its just slow so dont be in a hurry but pulls what we put behind it plus its a service body loaded with tools but the power strokes but one before an 03 the 6 leaker sucks the 5.9 is a great motor but the trucks fall apart around them look in to a duramax as well just my two cents

Back