Cheapo Tow Rig project

Is it ok that there’s only 2” of space between the tires? If so I’ll rock out.

I’ll get some pics tomorrow.
Yep, 2" is plenty. It's only gay if the rubbers touch.

Last edited:
Search my trailer build and you will see it.

I jacked camper up in the air back trailer up to it and then use car dollies to slide it forward onto the trailer.

Worked great

I kind of did the same thing. Jack up camper. I used wide brackets on the front. Back under and set it down on trailer. I used pipes to roll it forward in lieu of dollies.

I am going to order some red/white DOT reflective tape to run down the sides and neck. I think that along with fresh wheels will make it look a lot better.
I bought a roll of it on Amazon. Was alot cheaper than buying the strips.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Check the threads on here about this, but Sailuns are likely a good choice

I like the Sailuns, but really any 14 ply 16" trailer tire would be perfect for what your doing. I definitely would recommend skipping the 10 ply trailer tires altogether, the price difference so little it doesn't make sense anymore. Even the chinese 14 plys are better.

I got a price from my favorite tire place of $139ea for 10ply and $159ea for 14ply.

Not sure if I really need a 14ply tire since I’ll be way under the weight rating. But it’s only $80 difference. At the same time, I really need 5 tires and feel like I’m bleeding money right now.

In addition to this purchase, I just bought Chromos for the YJ, adding a roof on the back porch ($3k) and need tires for my car, the YJ needs to go to the exhaust shop, vacations coming up and many other things. I may need to sell a testicle if I keep on...

Last edited:
I got a price from my favorite tire place of $139ea for 10ply and $159ea for 14ply.

Not sure if I really need a 14ply tire since I’ll be way under the weight rating. But it’s only $80 difference. At the same time, I really need 5 tires and feel like I’m blessing money right now.

In addition to this purchase, I just bought Chromos for the YJ, adding a roof on the back porch ($3k) and need tires for my car, the YJ needs to go to the exhaust shop, vacations coming up and many other things. I may need to sell a testicle if I keep on...
I'd do some serious fire preventative measure on that DD of yours before dropping ANY more coin in that thing. You's fixin to set some new tars on far if not

841AF2D9-FB63-457B-97FD-7C55A97A4FE5.jpeg
I'd do some serious fire preventative measure on that DD of yours before dropping ANY more coin in that thing. You's fixin to set some new tars on far if not

Yeah, guess I failed to mention that @jeepinmatt must have laid a visit to my car. It caught on fire last week. Luckily I caught it early and put it out with a fire extinguisher. The battery hold down had broke and stuck to the positive, causing the car to act crazy and the battery leaked acid which caught on fire and melted the battery box area.

View attachment 320586

Yeah, guess I failed to mention that @jeepinmatt must have laid a visit to my car. It caught on fire last week. Luckily I caught it early and put it out with a fire extinguisher. The battery hold down had broke and stuck to the positive, causing the car to act crazy and the battery leaked acid which caught on fire and melted the battery box area.
All sorts of holes left out. You forget the "I like to party" part of this story where you called me tell me about said fire a short time after it happened and you were right back in said fire-machine headed up 52 otw to Dobson (without fixing it) :eek:

All sorts of holes left out. You forget the "I like to party" part of this story where you called me tell me about said fire a short time after it happened and you were right back in said fire-machine headed up 52 otw to Dobson (without fixing it) :eek:

Burnt battery box with a battery leaking acid, and nothing holding the battery down. I had a dinner date with @Nakoma and didn’t have time to fool with it. I did put a ratchet strap on the battery the following day, then the next day I got a new battery.

I like to live on the edge.

It currently still has a ratchet strap on it...

Since I’m bout tired of spending money I’ve decided to use the wire wheel (wheel of death missiles) and clean them up for paint. It really isn’t that bad. Here’s the before and after. That’s about as good as I’m going for, nothing show quality.

Cant’t decide if I should paint them back white, or go with silver gray. What say y’all? I plan to have this done and then have my tires mounted on Monday when I get my truck back.

FYI I also stripped the back side and will paint the backside black. Takes about 30 minutes per wheel.
BF3F0208-1A57-4749-AF84-7014ADAA056B.jpeg
6FA7F43A-97F5-40BB-BA79-AE718C42AD1E.jpeg

Silver for sure. White looks cheap, black is too much black with the black trailer and black tires, and any other color looks like you're trying too hard.

black is too much black with the black trailer and black tires, and any other color looks like you're trying too hard.
You prolly voted for HILLARY too

Fookin commie!!!

You KNOW they gotta be black

Back