Cheaper crawler?

hscrugby

So looking around at a way to get into it "cheaper"
(although the new ridgecrest looks cool)
I have a decent 2.4 radio, spektrum DX3C 3 channel, have some spare "quick" brushed motors and ESC's, (probably not use those, cause lipo is SO much better, and these aren't lipo friendly, PLUS crawling shouldn't be done at high speed :) )
I'm tempted to just get a red cat rockslide for the price:
https://www.ckrccrawlers.com/rockslide-rs10-xt-110-scale-crawler-w-24ghz-radio-p-4099.html
Has anyone seen how these do in person?
But it seems like finding a kit sans radio would be better. Maybe something like:
https://www.ckrccrawlers.com/venom-creeper-competition-rock-crawler-kit-red-p-1407.html
then I'd have to find ESC/motor and I suppose high torque servo?
Which gets me up close to the price of the ridgecrest? Would the ridgecrest be lipo ready? aka use the ESC with it, and run a 2s lipo?
I shouldn't have gotten back into this. :) hahaha.

Crawling is not what I would call cheap, at least not for me and all the other guys that I crawl with. LOL To me, they are as addictive and money-draining as full 1:1 crawlers. I've got more $$$ in my 2 crawlers than in my XJ, including buying the XJ itself and all the upgrades.

Personally, I would recommend a Losi Night Crawler or an Axial AX10 if you are wanting more of an actual crawler, which judging by the links you posted this is what you are looking for. Or if you are wanting something more scale oriented, the Axial SCX10 or Wraith. I'm not a fan of the "cheaper" crawlers. They just leave alot to be desired, from actual performance to parts availability/support, etc. It's going to be harder to find parts for the "off-brand" crawlers, from basic repair parts to performance enhancing upgrades.

You can pick up used Losi's (Night Crawler or Comp Crawler) for anywhere from $50-150 on RCC, depending on if it is just a roller or a RTR. The Night Crawler is extremely capable and reliable right out of the box and will easily out-perform and out-last the 2 that you are considering. The Night Crawler comes stock with decent electronics, the ESC has 2s lipo cutoff, 2.4ghz radio & receiver (although you can sell the stock radio and use the receiver with your Spektrum DX3C). Do some simple upgrades, such as weighting the wheels, better tires (Hot Bodies Sedonas or Rovers), Losi gold springs on the shocks, Traxxas Titan 21t motor, etc and it is a great crawler that can be upgraded as your skills improve. My Night Crawler was my first crawler and I still run it in Sportsman competitions.

The AX10 is another great option, not as capable as the Losi right out of the box but there are TONS of upgrades available. You can buy used AX10's on RCC for $100-300, depending on if it is a roller or a nice, fully built one with lots of upgrades and a nice aftermarket chassis, such as a T1E. The stock electronics on the AX10's aren't the greatest but can easily be upgraded for not too much $$$.

With any RC, it's usually better to look around for a good used example of what you are wanting rather than buying new. Deals are out there, especially lately with alot of people cutting back on hobbies and other "extras" to save money. I built my XR10 from a new kit with about 90% new parts and you can find used ones that are built exactly the same on RCC for about half of what I spent on mine, although I built mine when they were first released and there wasn't many used ones around for sale.

Stay away from buying ANYTHING from CKRC crawlers. The Customer service is supposed to be atrocious. Personally, if ordering online, go with RPPHobby. These guys are GREAT!

Id also stay away from Redcat or Komodo. Buying parts for these can be a pain in the ass, simply because not many people use em. Venom creeper is also supposed to fall into the same category.

The AX10 has been discontinued by Axial, so if you go that route you're gonna need to get it now before you cant find them new anymore (unless you want used). Ridgecrest will be almost 100% sure Lipo ready, and most likely limited to 2s if it used the standard Axial ESC. Id take a look at the Jun Fac Gmade kit too, that looks like a hell of a start for 230 dollars.

I agree that crawling isn't "cheap", but I will say its definitely cheaper than some of the other R/C hobbies.

untchable do you work at Anderson R/C? Also, were you the one I met at the Crawler Comp in Rhodhiss?

Yea, my "go fast" trucks break things often enough, I figure a fun crawler would be a good idea.
(currently am down 1 a-arm on rc10t, 1 a-arm brace on rc10t4, and a set of rims/tires on my old tamiya 4wd car. Can't find rims with the right amount of backspacing to fit. :( )
That said, I don't want a "cheap" crawler that I'll be let down constantly about it sucking. I doubt I'll do competitions, and I'm definitely not into the "scale" idea of things.

So the gmade would be:
http://www.junfac.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=318

untchable do you work at Anderson R/C? Also, were you the one I met at the Crawler Comp in Rhodhiss?

No, I don't work at Anderson, but Matt (owner of Anderson) is a buddy of mine. He supports the local crawlers and his customer service can't be beat.

Yes, we met at the comp at Rhodhiss awhile back. I was one of the last couple guys there and we talked for a couple minutes about your SCX10.

No, I don't work at Anderson, but Matt (owner of Anderson) is a buddy of mine. He supports the local crawlers and his customer service can't be beat.

Yes, we met at the comp at Rhodhiss awhile back. I was one of the last couple guys there and we talked for a couple minutes about your SCX10.

Okay awesome! I thought it was you but couldnt remember your screen name. I really need to get to Anderson sometime, Ive heard its one of the best R/C shops in NC.

So looking on RCC, (yea, paid for a star. Damn I need to learn patience) and seeing some things in the classified,
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/sale/370839-brushless-axial-wraith.html
But wouldn't a SCT setup be wrong for a wraith?
I also think the price is a bit high, but more just thinking about how it's setup, also saw a roller chasis but with a broken upper link, which seems to me would be a serious issue?
(and it wasn't much cheaper than buying the kit new)

Good call on the star-mine have paid for themselves in deals 3 years over now plus.

Depends on what you want to do with the wraith. I know a couple folks with VXL setups in them. Not crawlers.

I have a scalar I picked up from a local that I don't need. It's not finished (body and servo) but would be a good starting point and I'd just want what I paid for it-$100. I can send you info if you'd like.

yea, dude replied after a bit and I have a wreckluse on the way.
(I PM'd, he deleted the ad, I assumed he sold to someone else) and then he replied asking if I wanted it? I guess maybe someone else was going to buy it and it fell through. Either way, just need to get a servo and driveshafts.

I'm assuming that "normal" ax10 driveshafts will work, since it's ax10 trans, and ax10 axles? I can't really see where there is a different lengths for shafts?
And I can't really tell what people are running, so I might just wait.

I got into RC crawling cause i couldnt afford to keep in the real jeep game. turns out...it was cheaper to crawl a real one.

yea, dude replied after a bit and I have a wreckluse on the way.
(I PM'd, he deleted the ad, I assumed he sold to someone else) and then he replied asking if I wanted it? I guess maybe someone else was going to buy it and it fell through. Either way, just need to get a servo and driveshafts.

I'm assuming that "normal" ax10 driveshafts will work, since it's ax10 trans, and ax10 axles? I can't really see where there is a different lengths for shafts?
And I can't really tell what people are running, so I might just wait.

Yep on the AX10 driveshafts. Most folks swap them out for MIP or another variant (seen some made from pede shafts etc). Basically you have a wreckluse chassis on an AX10. I may have some stock AX10 driveshfts around. If I find em you can have them. I have MIP's waiting to go on my scalar build.

Reid-the scale is only in the size. Definitely not the price. :(

Back