Catalytic Heaters

shawn

running dog lackey of the oppressor class
Administrator
Does anybody have any first-hand experience with catalytic propane heaters like the Camco Olympians?

Amazon Link

RV people seem to love them. They're nearly silent, they don't use any electricity, and every bit of propane burned gets converted to heat.

Only problem is, you have to keep the catalyst clean. I actually read one review where some folks bought one to use out in the AZ desert and only got a few months of use out of it before the catalyst pad was ruined by dust. I try to keep the camper clean... but there's no way to keep the dust out.

Next best option looks like a Big Buddy heater... less worries about dust, more worries about CO and CO2 build-up (not as clean-burning, these aren't catalytics), but I can't find good info on whether or not the Big Buddy regulator is removable so the heater can run attached to the low-pressure RV system.

An ECORS race is the same way. I keep the camper closed up as much as possible, but you can't keep the dust out. My truck has a thin film of dirt on everything inside after a race, too.

I had a Coleman one like this for a while. Worked well, and lasted a good while, till I dropped it and the screen and all separated. Tried to put it back together, but it never would work right. Makes sense about being dirty though, after a while it did not burn all over like when new. Then I bought the Buddy heater. Actually bought for use in a RV, and used it several times. Worked great.
5033-751_500.jpg

awww.mrheater.com_images_products_MH18B.jpg

Shawn I would have to put in a vote for the Big Buddy. I don't own the Big Buddy, but the smaller buddy heater. I wish I did have a Big buddy though. You get twice the heat or just as little as you want/need. Only draw back is they are not thermostatically controlled.
With your set up I would think it wouldn't be too difficult to use even if not with the camper propane supply. Just use a regular 20 lb tank or a 30 if you can find a take off from another RV. I have used ours many times inside the camper. You could actually make a door to put the adapter hose through to keep the tank outside. I always had it inside though. 4000-18,000 I think would keep you warm in about any weather. You can put it up against the wall or mount it on the wall. The back stays cool.

I don't know about the Coleman ones. But the Camco ones have to be sent back to Camco (in G'boro, I think?) and they replace the element.

Problem is, the element R&R is 2/3s the cost of the unit. With a $250 heater, it's a little tough to take that chance.

The buddy heaters are an open flame style with a radiant tile. So less to damage. I also figured out for sure: the Big Buddy has an available hose that will hook it directly to a regulated RV system. You might be able to remove/bypass the regulator on a regular Buddy heater, but it's only designed to connect directly to the tank.

BUddy Heaters are also set up to shut down if they sense low O2. They also shut down if hit. THey do not have to have a complete knock over. just a bump will kill em.

Shawn, in my opinion I would look into a 12v propane furnace for safety. You didn't say if this was for a tent or your trailer. The furnace is extremely efficient and when set to a temp, will keep the air moving and so on.

The trailer has a propane furnace, Terry. It's loud, sucks a lot of 12V to keep the fans running, and blows probably half of its heat production out of the flue exhaust.

It's also not portable. ;)

I'm honestly not surprised that nobody makes a good-quality furnace for RVs... but there's probably not enough market there to justify production.

my grandad recently put an eden pure in his motor home and heats the whole thing but it does use electricity.
i personally use a mr heater big buddy.
if that eden pure style will work for you they have em at northern tool

Back