Capping old galvanized pipe?

farmboy

I need to cap off a piece of 3/4" water pipe. That has been buried for years. It's from our old well, and we now have 'city water'. I'm still using the well for our garden, washing cars, the horses, etc., and need to cap off the pipe heading into the house. Threading it is not really an option because of rust on the outside of the pipe. I thought about welding, or brazing it shut with my cutting torch with a welding tip attached. Am I correct in thinking that I can't solder a copper cap on it? It needs to hold pressure. I'm guessing between 40-50lbs or so. Any ideas? :driver:

Thanks guys!!

- Mac

If the rust is that bad, is it going to hold the cap in place / the pressure? Just a thought...

To get anything to attach to it, you're going to have to dig out around it and clean the end up really well, get the dirt & loose rust off, and also sand the rust pits to a reasonably smooth surface. That being said, we have used some mechanical caps here at work for pressurized lines - basically a rubber cap with a couple big hose clamps - different ones are rated for different pressures, but you definitely have to have a clean smooth surface for it to seal to...

go to lowes and get a 3/4 gal dresser coupling, a
short nipple and a cap.
clean the pipe as well as you can.slide the dresser
coupling on the end and tighten up the nut.
the dresser coupling
has compresson nuts with big rubber gaskets inside
and makes a leak proof seal, put the nipple in the
other end with the cap on it and your done.

dawg

Back